Program Options and Minors
The Honours Bachelor of Commerce program (BCom) is an exceptional program that allows you to build a solid foundation in all fields of business. Take advantage of experiential learning opportunities that prepare you to create a better Canada and world for all.
You can choose to specialize in one option, two options, or pursue one commerce option with a minor in another faculty at the University of Ottawa.
The BCom starts with common core courses, such as Marketing, Financial Management and Organizational Behaviour, allowing you to gain an understanding of each key field of business. The courses within the program follow a logical sequence that enables you to build your overall business knowledge and become a specialist in your field of choice.
|Human Resource Management|
|Complementary option in Business Analytics|
|Bachelor of Commerce / Juris Doctor|
BCom with ESL Courses
This is an adjusted course sequence for students who are required to take English as a Second Language (ESL) courses as per the results of an English language test administered at the beginning of the first semester.
Program Updates – Spring 2022
The BCom program has recently undergone changes that allow for greater flexibility and adaptability within the program, allowing you to choose to focus on more than one area of business interest. Common core courses have been reduced, and elective options have been restructured to allow for dual options or an option plus a minor from another faculty.
Complete your BCom degree with the following structure:
- One business option, business electives, out-of-faculty electives, and free electives
- One business option, the complementary option in Entrepreneurship or in Business Analytics, out-of-faculty electives, and free electives
- Two options in the field of business (for instance, Finance and Marketing), out-of-faculty electives, and free electives
- One business option and a minor (in another faculty) and business electives
- Refer to table for all possible options and out-of-faculty minor combinations.
Note: All business options will be combinable, except for the specialization in Accounting and the BCom/Juris Doctor.
The BCom program will reduce its required common core from 72 units to 63 units. The ADM electives will go from 15 units to 9 units. There will be a requirement of 15 units of non-business electives, and 15 units of electives (which could be business or non-business).
The following four courses that have been compulsory to the common core of the BCom have now been removed:
- PHI 1101: Reasoning and Critical Thinking
- PHI 1301: Philosophy: Ideas and Arguments
- PHI 2397: Business Ethics
- MAT 1300: Mathematical Methods I
- MAT 1302: Mathematical Methods II
A new math course has been created as part of the common core, ADM 1305/1705 (Mathematics for Business), to replace Mathematical Methods I and Mathematical Methods II.
The BCom course units will now include:
- Common core courses = 63 units
- BCom option courses = 18 units
- BCom (ADM) elective courses = 9 units
- Out-of-faculty electives courses = 15 units
- Free elective (business or out-of-faculty) courses = 15 units
Exceptions to this structure:
- The specialization in Accounting will have 3 units of out-of-faculty electives and 9 units of free electives.
- The option in International Management will have 15 units of out-of-faculty electives, and 9 units of free electives due to the mandatory international exchange (15 units).
- The BCom/Juris Doctor will keep its 18 units of ADM electives and its 6 units of out-of-faculty (non-business and non-law) electives, and add 9 units of free electives.
BCom with Two Options
BCom with an Out-of-Faculty Minor
Making Changes to Your Program
You can change your program before the end of second year between March 1st and June 1st. Should you wish to make changes to your current program, please contact the Student Services Centre.