Graduate Students' Corner
Telfer Research Expertise
Telfer Graduate Research Programs
- Master of Science in Management with Specialization in Environmental Sustainability
- Master of Science in Health Systems with Specialization in Environment Sustainability
- Master of Science Digital Transformation and Innovation
- Doctorate in Philosophy Digital Transformation and Innovation
Tools for academic success
- Research Office Scholarship Workshops - Presentation
- Research Office Scholarship Workshops - Handout to prepare draft of application
- MHS/MGT Thesis Proposal and Internship presentation
- Info on Research Ethics Board (REB) process for students
- Preparing a literature review? - Workshop documents
- How to give a compelling talk!
- Graduate Professional Development Opportunities
- Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies - Resources for Students
Applying for a SSHRC?
Applying for a CIHR?
Applying for an NSERC?
- Information Session on NSERC Scholarships and Fellowships
- NSERC Program Guide for Students and Fellows
Telfer Graduate Research Programs Thesis Competition
NATIONAL CAPITAL REGION MANAGEMENT THESIS COMPETITION
Research projects including human subjects will require ethics approval. Here are some tools and information to assist you in this process of obtaining ethics certification:
- Student Ethics Application Process
- Office of Research Ethics and Integrity - Website
- Ethics Approval for Research Involving Human Participants - OREI
- Who can submit?
- Application for Ethic Certificate: A Few Tips
- The TCPS 2 Tutorial: Course on Research Ethics (CORE)
- Tri-Council Policy Statement: Ethical Conduct for Research Involving Humans – TCPS 2 (2018)
All graduate students, who meet the eligibility criteria for the various external scholarships/awards (below list) are encouraged to apply. Please note that graduate scholarships are awarded through a competitive process. This process starts with an internal evaluation of each proposal conducted by:
· A committee composed of the field champions under the leadership of the PhD program director (PhD students), or
· A committee composed of the MSc program directors (Master students)
Proposals that are put forward to the Office of the Vice-Provost, Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies are evaluated as per the University of Ottawa procedures.
Each submission should be accompanied by a written consent from the respective student’s supervisor(s).
|August 1, 2020||
Daniel Zéghal Award For Excellence In Sustainable Development Management Research (MSc)
|August 1, 2020||
Daniel Zéghal Doctoral research scholarship
|September 10, 2020||
Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships - Internal Application
|October 6, 2020||
Fonds de recherche du Québec - Nature et technologies (Masters, Doctoral)
|October 7, 2020||
Fonds québécois de la recherche sur la société et la culture (Masters)
|October 14, 2020||Fonds québécois de la recherche sur la société et la culture (Doctoral)||Apply|
|October 15, 2020||
Fonds de recherche en santé du Québec (Masters)
|October 15, 2020||Fonds de recherche en santé du Québec (Doctoral)||Apply|
|October 19, 2020||
Canada Graduate Scholarships – Doctoral Program (CIHR, NSERC, SSHRC)
|December 1, 2020||
Ontario Graduate Scholarship (OGS) and the Queen Elizabeth II Graduate Scholarship in Science and Technology (QEII-GSST)
|December 1, 2020||
Canada Graduate Scholarships - Master’s Program (CIHR, NSERC, SSHRC)
Pierre Elliott Trudeau Foundation Doctoral Scholarships
|January 15, 2021||Telfer PhD Engagement Award||Apply|
|February 15, 2021||John Duncan and Deb Cross Award||Apply|
|December 31, 2021||CIHR: Health System Impact Fellowship (doctoral trainees and post-doctoral fellows)||Apply|
Other funding opportunities through University of Ottawa Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies
Telfer School of Management Research Grant (SMRG) - SMRG Student Thesis Research Grant
This grant is intended for graduate students who are registered full-time in a graduate research program offered by the Telfer School of Management (currently MSc in Management, MSc in Health Systems, MSc in Electronic Business Technologies). The Student Thesis Research Grant has been created to support students in their thesis research. The value of the grant is a maximum of $4,000 for a duration of up to 1.5 years. For MSc students, this is intended as a stipend and/or expenses related to the thesis research.
Applications are submitted by full-time tenured and tenure-track faculty at the Telfer School of Management, with a graduate student being the co-applicant. The principal investigator is responsible for managing the funds according to the University of Ottawa and the Telfer School of Management policies and regulations.
- The student must be registered full-time in an MSc in Management, MSc in Health Systems, MSc in Electronic Business Technologies program offered by the Telfer School of Management and be supervised by a member of the Telfer faculty.
- The research must lead to the thesis of the student.
- The thesis proposal should be defended and approved at the time of the application.
- The graduate student is expected to work full time on his/her thesis research project.
- During the application, information regarding currently held external excellence scholarships (ex.: Tri-council, OGS, Trillium) or applications to has to be provided. Students holding an external excellence scholarship are admissible to the grant, but at certain conditions.
- In the case of a student not continuing and/or not registered on a full-time basis in the program, or in the case of the thesis submission or defense, any remaining funds will revert to the SMRG program. The faculty member is required to contact the Research Office with a written request (letter or email) to close the account.
- Funds cannot be reallocated to a different student of the principal investigator.
- A request to extend the duration of this grant needs to be made to the Manager, Research Enterprise and, if granted, the extension will not exceed another full calendar year. A formal request must be made at least two months prior to the end of the grant period.
- Supervisors who have external funding will be expected to provide a top-up contribution equivalent to 50% of the grant awarded (some exceptions may apply).
- Students holding an external excellence scholarship are eligible to the Student Thesis Research Grant. The amount of the grant will be limited to $2000 and can be used for research expenses only (not as a stipend). Professors holding external funding are expected to provide a top-up of $2000, also to be used towards research expenses.
- Request for funding has to be submitted through the online portal by the supervisor.
- A graduate student is eligible to receive the Student Research Grant only once for a given program of a study.
- This grant is not intended for pedagogical uses.
Thesis and possibly academic publication or presentations.
Telfer Travel Fund for MSc and PhD Students (Grad-SMTF)
This program is only available to Telfer MSc or PhD students supervised by Telfer School of Management professors, or EBT PhD or MSc (with thesis) students supervised by a Telfer professor, for the presentation of research findings at academic conferences from work undertaken within the context of the masters or doctoral program offered by the Telfer School:
*The supervisor must be an APUO member.
MSc Students - The maximum amount available per student is $1,000 for one travel and only students having completed the first term of their programs are eligible.
PhD Students - The total amount available per student is $1,500 to present a paper accepted at a conference. This amount is available twice in their program, representing a total of $3,000 for travel to present research findings at two conferences in different academic years.
There is also the opportunityfor a $300 top up, subject to available funds. If you are requesting the top up, you will be asked to provide additional information. There are limited funds available and once they are exhausted, there will not be any more top up funds until the next fiscal year.
Application procedure – Applications will now be submitted via the School of Management Research Grant Portal. Please create a profile on the portal in order to apply, using your uOttawa email, and indicate that you are a student. Click the application for Telfer School of Management Travel Fund for either Masters or PhD, complete the application and attach the required documents.
Full guidelines are available on the portal before you click to apply.
Conference Travel Grants - Previously Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies
These grants have now been incorporated into the Telfer School of Management Travel Fund for Students as a top up funding. Subject to available funding per year.
Academic Project Fund - Graduate Students' Association of the University of Ottawa (GSAÉD)
If you participate in conferences, round tables or field trips as a graduate student, GSAÉD may contribute financially depending on the overall cost and the total amount of funding from other sources.
Visit the GSAÉD website for more information on the Academic Project Fund .
John Duncan and Deb Cross Award
This award is allocated on a competitive basis to a PhD student at the Telfer School of Management for publishing a paper in a peer-reviewed journal. Award details are available through the online Scholarship and Bursaries website.
Telfer PhD Student Engagement Award
The purpose of this award is to recognize one PhD student at the Telfer School of Management who exemplifies the qualities of an engaged student. Students who are selected to receive this award will have demonstrated continued engagement with the program on many levels, namely by: demonstrating initiative in consistently applying for external funding, along with external and internal scholarships; demonstrating success in their courses; showing steady progress in their research program; publishing their research findings; and presenting their research at academic conferences. Award details are available through the online Scholarship and Bursaries website.
If you are wondering why you should participate…
- This is an excellent opportunity for professional development, to explore innovative strategies to promote your research project, and share your story with the world.
- Storytelling is now recognized by the business community as an indispensable tool for sharing and promoting ideas.
- Improve your communication skills and enhance your resumé with this prestigious award.
- Diversify your social network with this opportunity for global recognition.
If you are a Telfer student, are 19 years of age or older, and wish to participate in the SSHRC Storytellers contest, Telfer wishes to support you in the preparation of a video, podcast, infographic or a creative audio-visual production about a Telfer research project funded by SSHRC. You could win one of three 500$ prizes to be used to cover your production costs. Applications details are available here.