Two Powerful Degrees
Separate yourself from the competition. Consider the combined Master of Business Administration and Juris Doctor Program (MBA-JD).
Our innovative program is designed to educate a new generation of leaders—business executives who can independently manage the legal challenges of contemporary corporate life; lawyers who can address the business needs of their corporate clients; and entrepreneurs who will move seamlessly between business and law.
Our MBA-JD program provides you with exposure to a unique community of business and legal leaders in both the public and the private sector. Through numerous externships available in the Faculty of Law and consulting projects offered by the Telfer School of Management, you can gain valuable work experience for academic credit during each of the four years of study. In addition to private-sector placements, externships are available with the courts, federal tribunals, government agencies and departments, and non-governmental organizations. Given the complementary skills required for success in both business and law, you can earn both the MBA and the JD degree in less than four years.
For more information, visit the Faculty of Law website.
Our MBA-JD program is reserved for ambitious students with a demonstrated record of success. You are admitted to the joint program according to the admission requirements of each faculty.
|Year 1||Complete first-year JD|
|Year 2||Complete full MBA program (consisting of 45 units) over one academic year (3 terms)|
|Year 3||Complete second-year JD with the additional requirement of successfully completing a minimum of 34 units|
|Year 4||Complete 17 remaining units in the JD program by December|
Note: Year 3 admission into the combined MBA program is exceptional. To be admissible to the joint program, you cannot receive your JD diploma until you have completed the MBA component. This means that receiving your JD diploma before completing the MBA program makes you inadmissible to the combined MBA-JD program.
Note: The MBA component is also available in French but over a period of two years.
Scholarships and bursaries available in both faculties
To be considered for the MBA-JD program you must first be admitted into the JD program and apply for the MBA program in your first year of JD by the application deadline of May 15th. Upon meeting the academic requirements for your first year, students admitted into the joint program will complete the 45 units of the one-year full-time MBA-intensive program. During the third and fourth years of the MBA-JD program, students must take all remaining courses necessary to meet the JD degree requirements. Graduates will receive both the JD degree from the Faculty of Law and the MBA degree from the Telfer School of Management once the requirements of both programs are fulfilled.
To apply for the joint program:
- Submit your online application to the JD program for the first year of studies
- Meet all JD program admission criteria
- Submit all required documents to the Faculty of Law
- During the first year of law studies, submit your application for the MBA program for the second year of studies
- Meet all MBA program admission requirements
- Submit all required documents to the Telfer School of Management
- Admission into the joint program will be on a competitive basis. We will be accepting approx. 5 candidates per year. All applications received from JD candidates will be reviewed by the admission committee following the application deadline. Decisions will be communicated to the applicants by the end of May.
- Students admitted to the program without the MBA requirement of three years of full-time work experience must have an admission average of at least 6.5/10 in the first year of law studies to be admitted into the MBA program.
Applicants must meet the following requirements:
For the JD program:
- A baccalaureate degree with a cumulative grade point average in the range of 80 percent
- A personal statement demonstrating why the applicant is uniquely suited for this program
- Two reference letters, at least one of which should come from an academic source
- A satisfactory LSAT score
- Proficiency in either English or French
For the MBA program:
- A baccalaureate degree with a cumulative grade point average in the range of 70 percent
- A minimum of three years of full-time work experience. (Co‑op placements and work internships completed to meet the requirements of a postsecondary academic program or summer and part-time employment will be viewed favourably at the time of admission, but do not constitute a replacement for the full-time work experience requirement.) Students admitted to the program without the MBA requirement of three years of full-time work experience must have an admission average of at least 6.5/10 in the first year in their law program to be admitted into the MBA program.
- A competitive GMAT or GRE.
Deadline to apply for the JD or joint program: November 1
Deadline to apply for the MBA program: May 15
University of Ottawa
57 Louis Pasteur St.
Ottawa ON K1N 6N5
Tel.: 613-562-5800, ext. 3288
55 Laurier Avenue East, Room 4160
Ottawa ON K1N 6N5