William Van Woensel
- DMS 6155
- 613-562-5800 x 4920
Dr. William Van Woensel received his PhD in Applied Computer Science at the Vrije Universiteit Brussel in Belgium. He was a Research Associate at Dalhousie University, and a Visiting Researcher at the Universidad Politécnica de Valencia, Spain. It is his ambition to develop novel methods for Health Informatics, Information Systems, and Artificial Intelligence, and translate them into practice to transform healthcare; themes of particular interest are Knowledge Representation and Reasoning, Mobile Computing and Machine Learning. His research program has produced innovative methods for Intelligent Clinical Decision Support, Medical Knowledge Bases and Knowledge Discovery, Patient Engagement, Self-Management and Mobility, and Activity Recognition for Assisted Living in Smart Environments.
Dr. Van Woensel is the co-chair of the W3C Community Group on Notation3, a declarative semantic language to implement decision making in open web environments. He is further involved with Punya, an intuitive, visual app development platform, and targets its use for the quick prototyping of mobile health apps, with direct involvement from clinician and patient stakeholders. He has been involved in the organization of the AIME and DeclarativeAI conferences, acting as application demo and scientific chair, and co-organized a number of workshops and tutorials. He has received 3 best paper awards, including the John Fox Memorial Award for the best paper in the field of Computer Interpretable Guidelines and Explainability.
Dr. Van Woensel has published in top-tier journals such as Artificial Intelligence in Medicine, JMIR mHealth and uHealth, BioData Mining, Clinical Biochemistry and Semantic Web Journal. He has further contributed to multiple premier conferences, including Artificial Intelligence in Medicine (AIME), Medical Informatics Europe (MIE), International Conference on Web Information System Engineering (WISE), International Semantic Web Conference (ISWC), and Extended Semantic Web Conference (ESWC). He has served as reviewer for numerous conferences and journals in the fields of Health Informatics and Artificial Intelligence.
Publications during the last 7 years
Papers in Refereed Journals
- Van Woensel, W., Tu, S.W., Michalowski, W., Abidi, S.S.R., Abidi, S., Alonso, J.-R., Bottrighi, A., Carrier, M., Edry, R., Hochberg, I., Rao, M., Kingwell, S., Kogan, A., Marcos, M., Salvador, B.M., Michalowski, M., Piovesan, L., Riaño, D., Terenziani, P., Wilk, S. and Peleg, M. 2023. A Community-of-Practice-based Evaluation Methodology for Knowledge Intensive Computational Methods and its Application to Multimorbidity Decision Support. Journal of Biomedical Informatics, 142: 104395.
- Van Woensel, W., Abidi, S., Abidi, S.S.R. and Jafarpour, B. 2021. Decision Support for Comorbid Conditions via Execution-Time Integration of Clinical Guidelines Using Transaction-based Semantics and Temporal Planning. Artificial Intelligence in Medicine, 118: 102-127.
- Van Woensel, W., Elnenaei, M., Abidi, S.S.R., Clarke, D.B. and Imran, S.A. 2021. Staged Reflexive Artificial Intelligence Driven Testing Algorithms for Early Diagnosis of Pituitary Disorders. Clinical Biochemistry, 97: 48-53.
- Miralles, I., Granell, C., Díaz-Sanahuja, L., Van Woensel, W., Bretón-López, J., Mira, A., Castilla, D. and Casteleyn, S. 2020. Smartphone Apps for the Treatment of Mental Disorders: Systematic Review. JMIR Mhealth Uhealth, 8(4): e14897.
- Van Woensel, W. and Abidi, S.S.R. 2019. Benchmarking Semantic Reasoning on Mobile Platforms: Towards Optimization Using OWL2 RL. Semantic Web Journal, 10(4): 1-27.
- Jafarpour, B., Abidi, S.R., Van Woensel, W. and Abidi, S.S.R. 2019. Execution-Time Integration of Clinical Practice Guidelines To Provide Decision Support for Comorbid Conditions. Artificial Intelligence in Medicine, 94: 117-137.
- Mohammadhassanzadeh, M., Van Woensel, W., Abidi, S. and Abidi, S.S.R. 2017. Semantics-based Plausible Reasoning to Extend the Knowledge Coverage of Medical Knowledge Bases for Improved Clinical Decision Support. BioData Mining Journal, 10(7).
- Van Woensel, W. and Casteleyn, S. 2016. A Mobile Query Service for Integrated Access to Large Numbers of Online Semantic Web Data Sources. Journal of Web Semantics, 58–76.
Funded Research during the last 7 years
|2023-2028||NSERC - Discovery Grants Program||Using Hybrid Data- and Knowledge-driven Methods to Extract, Analyze, and Explain Real-World Processes||R||C||PI||$ 155,000|
|2022-2023||Telfer School of Management||Studying the Use of State-of-the-Art Natural Language Processing Models for Extracting Process Models from Natural Text||R||I||PI||$ 15,000|
|2020||NSERC Engage||Extending Medical Knowledge Graphs built from Electronic Medical Records||R||C||Co-I||$ 25,000|
|2019||Nova Scotia Health Research Foundation||Digital Point-of-care Clinical Documentation in a Busy Emergency Department: An AI based Dictaphone using Intelligent Speech Recognition||R||F||Co-I||$ 15,000|
|2017-2018||NSERC Engage||Performing Accurate Indoor Localization using ML and KR||R||C||Co-I||$ 25,000|
C: Contract (R and D) | E: Equipment Grant | R: Research Grant | S: Support Award | P: Pedagogical Grant | O: Other, U: Unknown
C: Granting Councils | G: Government | F: Foundations | I: UO Internal Funding | O: Other | U: Unknown
PI = Principal Investigator | Co-I = Co-Investigator | Co-PI = Co-Principal Investigator