- DMS 7151
- 613-562-5800 x 7665
Wenxia Ge holds a Master’s degree in accounting from Xiamen University, China, and a Ph.D. degree from McGill University. Prior to pursuing her academic career, she worked at China Construction Bank (Shanghai), first as an accountant and later as an internal auditor. Before joining Telfer, she was an associate professor at the University of Manitoba.
Professor Ge is Associate Editor of the Asia-Pacific Journal of Accounting & Economics and a member of the editorial boards of Advances in Accounting and Journal of International Accounting, Auditing and Taxation. She has also reviewed papers for many leading journals and research grant agencies.
Her present research focuses on audit quality, climate risk disclosure, financial reporting quality, debt financing, and corporate governance. Her research has been published or accepted for publication in refereed journals such as Auditing: A Journal of Practice & Theory, European Accounting Review, Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Journal of Business Research, Journal of Corporate Finance, Journal of Empirical Finance, and Journal of International Business Studies.
Her research was funded by the SSHRC Insight Development Grant, CPA Canada-CAAA Research Grant, and several internal research grants provided by the University of Manitoba. She is a recipient of the CPA Manitoba Research Fellowship, Associates’ Achievement Award for Research, Asper Re-Action Award, American Accounting Association International Accounting Section Excellence in Reviewing Award, and Emerald Literati Award: Outstanding Reviewer for Asian Review of Accounting.
Publications during the last 7 years
Papers in Refereed Journals
- Ge, W., Kim, J.B., Li, T. and Zhang, S. 2023. Involvement in offshore financial centers and audit fees: Evidence from U.S. multinational firms. European Accounting Review, 32(4): 995-1023.
- Ge, W., Ouyang, C., Shi, Z. and Chen, Z. 2022. Can a not-for-profit minority institutional shareholder make a big difference in corporate governance? A quasi-natural experiment. Journal of Corporate Finance, 72(102125).
- Ge, W., Kim, J.B., Li, T. and Zhang, J. 2022. Subsidiary Operations in Offshore Financial Centers and Bank Risk-Taking: International Evidence. Journal of International Business Studies, 53: 268-301.
- Deng, K., Ge, W. and He, J. 2021. Inside debt and shadow banking. Journal of Corporate Finance, 69(102038).
- Ge, W., Kang, T., Song, B.Y. and Zhou, G. 2021. Audit profession development and bank loan contracting. Auditing: A Journal of Practice and Theory, 40(2): 85-105.
- Ge, W. and Kim, J.-B. 2020. How does the executive pay gap influence audit fees? The roles of R&D investment and institutional ownership. Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, 47(5-6): 677-707.
- Ge, W., Kim, J.-B., Li, T. and Li, Y. 2018. Operations in Offshore Financial Centers and Loan Syndicate Structure. Journal of Empirical Finance, 45(2018): 157-180.
- Ge, W., Kang, T., Lobo, G. and Song, B.Y. 2017. Investment decisions and bank loan contracting. Asian Review of Accounting, 25(2): 262-287.
- Ge, W., Kim, J.-B., Li, T. and Li, Y. 2016. Offshore Operations and Bank Loan Contracting: Evidence from Firms that Set up Subsidiaries in Offshore Financial Centers. Journal of Corporate Finance, 37: 335-355.
Funded Research during the last 7 years
|2022-2024||SSHRC Insight Development Grant||Are climate risk disclosures in earnings conference calls relevant to analysts?||R||C||PI||$ 49,504|
|2021-2023||Telfer School of Management (Start-Up Fund)||Research Fund Start-up||R||I||PI||$ 20,000|
|2020-2022||Asper School of Business, University of Manitoba||An Investigation into Climate Risk, Analyst Forecast, and Corporate Sustainability||R||I||PI||$ 30,000|
|2016-2019||CPA Canada||Executive Pay Disparity and the Pricing of Audit Services||R||F||PI||$ 6,750|
|2016-2018||SSHRC Insight Development Grant||Do Operations in Offshore Financial Centers Blow the Whistle on Bank Risks?||R||C||Co-I||$ 67,820|
C: Contract (R and D) | E: Equipment Grant | R: Research Grant | S: Support Award | P: Pedagogical Grant | O: Other, U: Unknown
C: Granting Councils | G: Government | F: Foundations | I: UO Internal Funding | O: Other | U: Unknown
PI = Principal Investigator | Co-I = Co-Investigator | Co-PI = Co-Principal Investigator