TieMei (Sarah) Li
- DMS 7150
- 613-562-5800 x 1991
Tiemei (Sarah) Li is an associate professor of accounting at the Telfer School of Management at the University of Ottawa. Before earning her Ph.D in accounting from Concordia University, Canada, she worked in the Chinese financial industry. Professor Li teaches both financial and managerial accounting courses at the undergraduate level, along with an accounting seminar in the Ph.D. program. Her current research interests focus primarily on financial reporting quality, corporate finance, and the effects of accounting information on capital markets.
Professor Li’s work has been published in leading accounting and finance journals, such as the Journal of Corporate Finance and the Journal of Finance Business & Accounting. Professor Li is the associate editor of Asia-Pacific Journal of Accounting & Economics. She has presented papers at international accounting and finance conferences, including the American Finance Association (AFA) annual conference, the American Accounting Association (AAA) annual conference, and the annual congress of the European Accounting Association (EAA).
Publications during the last 7 years
Papers in Refereed Journals
- Ge, W., Kim, J.B., Li, T. and Zhang, J. 2022. Subsidiary Operations in Offshore Financial Centers and Bank Risk-Taking: International Evidence. Journal of International Business Studies, 53: 268-301.
- Li, T., Magnan, M. and Shi, Y. 2022. Governance Tensions in MNCs’ Accounting Quality. Journal of International Business Studies, 53: 1641–1669.
- Ge, W., Kim, J.B., Li, T. and Zhang, S. 2022. Involvement in offshore financial centers and audit fees: Evidence from U.S. multinational firms. European Accounting Review, (In Press).
- Ben Amar, W., He, L., Li, T. and Magnan, M. 2019. The Corrosive Effect of Offshore Financial Centers on Multinational Firms’ Disclosure Strategy . European Accounting Review, 28(3): 483-512.
- Ge, W., Kim, J.-B., Li, T. and Li, Y. 2018. Operations in Offshore Financial Centers and Loan Syndicate Structure. Journal of Empirical Finance, 45(2018): 157-180.
- Kim, J.-B. and Li, T. 2018. Are offshore firms less conservative in financial reporting? International evidence. Journal of International Financial Management and Accounting, 29(2): 131-169.
- Durnev, A., Li, T. and Magnan, M. 2017. Beyond Tax Avoidance: Offshore Firms' Institutional Environment and Financial Reporting Quality. Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, 44(5-6): 646-696.
- Ge, W., Kim, J.-B., Li, T. and Li, Y. 2016. Offshore Operations and Bank Loan Contracting: Evidence from Firms that Set up Subsidiaries in Offshore Financial Centers. Journal of Corporate Finance, 37: 335-355.
- Durnev, A., Li, T. and Magnan, M. 2016. Are Offshore Firms Worth More? Journal of Corporate Finance, 36: 131-156.
Funded Research during the last 7 years
|2022-2024||Telfer School of Management Research Grants (SMRG)||The Impact of Environmental Sustainability Policy Arbitrage: International Evidence||R||I||PI||$ 15,000|
|2020-2022||CPA - Canada Accounting and Governance Research Centre||Social media impact on transparency of companies with OFC operations||R||I||PI||$ 5,000|
|2018-2020||Telfer School of Management Research Grants (SMRG)||Does Globalization Matter to Multinational Companies’ Credit Risk? Evidence from Credit Default Swap||R||I||PI||$ 8,000|
|2018-2020||SSHRC||Impact Investing by Private Foundations||R||C||Co-I||$ 65,372|
|2016-2018||SSHRC||Do Operations in Offshore Financial Centers Blow the Whistle on Bank Risks?||R||C||PI||$ 67,820|
|2016-2018||CPA - Canada Accounting and Governance Research Centre||Operations in Offshore Financial Centers and Bank Risk Taking||R||I||PI||$ 5,000|
|2015-2018||Telfer School of Management Research Fund (SMRF)||Are Operations in Offshore Financial Centers Associated with Corporate Social Responsibility?||R||I||PI||$ 5,000|
|2015-2016||Business School Research Development Awards of the University of Western Australia||Trading Activities of Insiders in Multinational Enterprises (MNEs) with Operations in Offshore Financial Centres||R||O||Co-I||$ 6,590|
C: Contract (R and D) | E: Equipment Grant | R: Research Grant | S: Support Award | P: Pedagogical Grant | O: Other, U: Unknown
C: Granting Councils | G: Government | F: Foundations | I: UO Internal Funding | O: Other | U: Unknown
PI = Principal Investigator | Co-I = Co-Investigator | Co-PI = Co-Principal Investigator