Sandra Schillo (She/He/They)
- DMS 6113
- 613-562-5800 x 4925
Sandra Schillo focuses her research on improved methodologies relating to the measurement of innovation, entrepreneurship and their impact.
Dr. Schillo has research and professional experience in the areas of science and technology, research and innovation management and entrepreneurship. Her professional work experience includes work completed for Industry Canada and many science based departments and agencies of the Canadian federal government.
Dr. Schillo completed her doctoral studies at the Institute for Entrepreneurship and Innovation Management, University of Kiel, Germany. She obtained her Masters' degree in Engineering Management from the University of Karlsruhe, Germany, majoring in corporate strategy and specializing in innovation management and technology transfer.
Publications during the last 7 years
Papers in Refereed Journals
- Schillo, R.S. and Ebrahimi, H.*. 2022. Gender dimensions of digitalisation: a comparison of Venture Capital backed start-ups across fields. Technology Analysis and Strategic Management, 34(7): 733-745.
- Beaudoin, C.*, Joncoux, S., Jasmin, J.F., Berberi, A.*, McPhee, C., Schillo, R.S. and Nguyen, V.M. 2022. A research agenda for evaluating living labs as an open innovation model for environmental and agricultural sustainability. Environmental Challenges, 7: 100505.
- Fatemi, H., Kao, E.*, Schillo, R.S., Li, W.*, Jian-Yun, N. and Dubé, L. 2022. Using Social Media to Analyze Consumers’ Attitude Towards Natural Food Products. British Food Journal, (In Press).
- Chicoine, M.*, Rodier, F., Durif, F., Schillo, R.S. and Dubé, L. 2021. Exploring Social Media Data to Understand How Stakeholders Value Local Food: A Canadian Study Using Twitter. Sustainability, 13(24): 13920.
- Schillo, R.S. and Ebrahimi, H.P. 2021. Gender dimensions of digitalisation: a comparison of Venture Capital backed start-ups across fields. Technology Analysis and Strategic Management.
- Ebrahimi, H.P., Schillo, R.S. and Bronson, K. 2021. Systematic Stakeholder Inclusion in Digital Agriculture: A Framework and Application to Canada. Sustainability, 13(12): 6879.
- Youtie, J., Shapira, P., Ward, R., Schillo, R.S. and Earl, L. 2021. Exploring New Approaches to Understanding Innovation Ecosystems. Technology Analysis and Strategic Management, 7((Sept)): 1-5.
- Persaud, A., Schillo, R.S. and Wang, S. 2021. Assessing industry differences in marketing innovation using multi-level modeling. Journal of Business & Industrial Marketing.
- Alhassan, E. **, Schillo, R.S., Lemay, M.A. ** and Pries, F. 2019. Research Outputs as Vehicles of Knowledge Exchange in a Quintuple Helix Context: The Case of Biofuels Research Outputs . Journal of the Knowledge Economy.
- McPhee, C., Schillo, R.S., Earl, L. and Kinder, J.S. 2018. Editorial: Inclusive Innovation in Developed Countries . Technology Innovation Management Review, 8(2): 3-6.
- Schillo, R.S. 2018. Research-based Spin-Offs as Agents in the Entrepreneurial Ecosystem. Journal of Technology Transfer, (In Press).
- Schillo, R.S. and Robinson, R.M. 2017. Inclusive Innovation – A Framework for Developed Countries. Technology Innovation Management Review, 7(7): 34-46.
- Aidis, R. and Schillo, R.S. 2017. Gender, Leadership and Venture Capital: Measuring women’s leadership in VC firm portfolios. International Journal of Gender and Entrepreneurship, 9(2): 110-135.
- Schillo, R.S. and Isabelle, D. 2017. Linking Advanced Biofuel Policies with Stakeholder Interests - A method building on Quality Function Deployment. Energy Policy, 100(January): 126-137.
- Persaud, A. and Schillo, R.S. 2017. Purchasing organic products: role of social context and consumer innovativeness. Marketing Intelligence and Planning, 35(1): 130-146.
- Schillo, R.S. and Kinder, J.S. 2017. Delivering on societal impacts through open innovation: a framework for government laboratories. Journal of Technology Transfer, 42: 977-996.
- Pries, F., Talebi, A.**, Schillo, R.S. and Lemay, M.A. **. 2016. Risks affecting the biofuels industry: A US and Canadian company perspective. Energy Policy, 97(October): 93-101.
- Schillo, R.S., Persaud, A. and Jin, M. **. 2016. Entrepreneurial readiness in the context of national institutional environments. Small Business Economics, 46(4): 619-637.
Chapters in Books
- Earl, E.L., De Fuentes, C., Kinder, J. and Schillo, R.S. Inclusive innovation and how it can be measured in developed and developing countries. In Gault, F., Arundel, A. and Kraemer-Mbula, E.. Handbook of Innovation Indicators and Measurement. Cheltenham, UK: Edward Elgar Publishing, 2022, (Accepted).
- Schillo, R.S. and Puri, P.*. Inclusive Innovation - Towards a Theory of Inclusiveness Transitions. In Mazzanti, Diaz Lopez and Zoboli. Handbook of Innovation, Society and the Environment. Cheltenham, UK: Edward Elgar Publishing, 2022, (Accepted).
- Dubé, L., Wolfert, S., Zimmerman, K., Yang, N., Diaz-Lopez, F., Arvanitis, R., Schillo, R.S., Hamalova, S., Nie, J.-Y. and Brown, S. Convergence Research and Innovation Digital Backbone: Behavioral analytics, artificial intelligence and digital technologies as bridges between biological, social and agri-food systems. In Annosi, M.C. and Brunetta, F.. How is digitalization affecting agrifood? New Business Models, Strategies and Organizational Forms. Milton Park, Abingdon, Oxfordshire, UK: Routledge, 2020.
- Schillo, R.S. Entrepreneurial Orientation and Company Performance: Can the Academic Literature Guide Managers? . In McPhee, C.. Most Popular Articles: Best of TIM Review. Ottawa, ON, Canada: Talent First Network (Carleton University), 2016.
Invited Contributions and/or Technical Reports
- Berberi, A.*, Beaudoin, C.*, Nguyen, V., Bronson, K., McPhee, C., Joncoux, S. and Jasmin, J.F. 2021. "Knowledge gaps in evaluating the effectiveness and impacts of Living Labs focused on environmental and agricultural sustainability", June, Knowledge Synthesis Report.
- Persaud, A. and Schillo, R.S. 2017. "Big Data Analytics: Accelerating Innovation and Value Creation", October, Big Data Analytics project.
- Schillo, R.S. and Ebrahimi, H.P. 2017. "Options for Metrics of S&T Collaboration", Report prepared for the Federal S&T Secretariat, Canada.
- Aidis, R., Schillo, R.S. and Brand, S. 2016. "Developing uniform measurements for women's leadership in venture capital fund portfolios", Report Submitted to the Kauffman Foundation.
Funded Research during the last 7 years
|2022-2024||SSHRC Partnership Development Grant||Rethinking the Social Contract for Science Policy||R||C||PI||$ 170,000|
|2021-2027||CIHR||Implementing Smart Cities Interventions to Build Healthy Cities (SMART) Training Platform||R||C||Co-I||$ 4,950,000|
|2021-2023||PIC Supercluster||Food Convergence and Integrity Canada||R||G||Co-I||$ 2,600,000|
|2021-2022||eCampus Ontario||Weaving Indigenous perspectives and educational approaches into an online entrepreneurship course||R||F||PI||$ 75,000|
|2021-2022||Undergraduate Research Opportunity Program (UROP)||How social media influences societal transitions through innovation student: Matthew A. Martinez||R||I||PI||$ 500|
|2020-2021||MITACS||Food Convergence and Integrity Canada; partners: PIC Supercluster, Bivizio, CTAQ||R||O||PI||$ 240,000|
|2020-2021||MITACS||Small and Medium Enterprises in a Covid19 context: Ecosystem business intelligence for increased resilience; partner: Bivizio||R||G||PI||$ 45,000|
|2020-2021||SSHRC - Knowledge Synthesis Grant||Living Within the Earth’s Carrying Capacity: What are the knowledge gaps for evaluating the social impacts and effectiveness of "Living Labs" focused on environmental and agricultural sustainability?||R||C||Co-I||$ 50,000|
|2018-2023||SSHRC Partnership Grant||Partnership for the Organization of Innovation and New Technologies (4POINT0)||R||C||Co-I||$ 2,499,723|
|2017-2021||SSHRC Insight Grant||Assessing the Readiness of Canadian Small- and Medium- Sized Enterprises to Leverage Big Data Analytics||R||C||Co-I||$ 119,000|
|2017-2018||SSHRC – Synthesis Grant||Big Data Analytics: Accelerating Innovation and Value Creation||R||C||Co-I||$ 25,000|
|2017||Kauffman Foundation||Measuring Women's Leadership in Venture Capital Fund Portfolios||R||F||Co-PI||$ 91,800|
|2017||Agriculture and AGRI-Food Canada||Options for S&T collaboration metrics||R||G||PI||$ 11,500|
|2017||SSHRC - Knowledge Synthesis Grant||Big Data Analytics (BDA): Accelerating Innovation and Value Creation||R||C||Co-PI||$ 25,000|
|2016-2018||SSHRC Insight Development Grant||New innovation indicators - integrating survey methodology with web-based data analytics||R||C||PI||$ 67,050|
|2016||Kauffman Foundation||Measuring Women's Leadership in Venture Capital Fund Portfolios||R||F||Co-I||$ 27,000|
C: Contract (R and D) | E: Equipment Grant | R: Research Grant | S: Support Award | P: Pedagogical Grant | O: Other, U: Unknown
C: Granting Councils | G: Government | F: Foundations | I: UO Internal Funding | O: Other | U: Unknown
PI = Principal Investigator | Co-I = Co-Investigator | Co-PI = Co-Principal Investigator