Dr. Calof is recognized as one of the leaders in intelligence and foresight. A full professor of International Business and Strategy at the Telfer School of Management at the University of Ottawa, Dr. Calof combines research and consulting in competitive intelligence, technical foresight and business analytics to help organizations develop key insights on their competitive environment.
Jonathan has given over 1000 speeches, seminars and keynote addresses around the world on intelligence, foresight and analytics and has helped several companies and government agencies around the world enhance their capabilities on these areas. In recognition of his contribution to making fact based decision making a reality, Jonathan has been given several honours including Frost and Sullivan
's life time achievement award in competitive intelligence; Fellow award from the Society of Competitive Intelligence Professionals
; Honorary Professor at Yunnan Normal University in China; Appointment to the international advisory board for the Russian Foresight Committee
of HSE; Honorary member of the Russian Society of Competitive Intelligence Professional
; Board of advisors for the Centre en Intelligence Economique et Management Stratégique(CIE'MS/Center for Competitive Intelligence and Strategic Management
in Morocco and Extraordinary Professor at North-West University in South Africa. He was also recently awarded SCIP's member of the year award for his influence on the practice and the field of competitive intelligence.
Interest in his work has also resulted in several interviews on radio and in print around the world and has been featured in national publications as Forbes, Business Week, CIO Magazine, Financial Times, The National Post, Globe and Mail, Canadian Business, and others.
He is a prolific author with over 150 publications to his credit. As well, Jonathan is the author and co-editor of several books on competitive intelligence including co-editor of the Competitive Intelligence Foundation's Conference and Trade Show Intelligence book. He also pens a column on event intelligence for Competitive Intelligence Magazine and is executive editor for Frontline Safety and Security. In addition to his involvement in the consulting and academic world, Dr. Calof is also a director with RoboCoder, a Canadian software company and Success Nexus, a Malaysian biofuel company. Recently Dr. Calof released the results of a global study looking at lessons learned from the largest corporate failure in Canadian corporate history. The study results have led to new tools and skills for boards of directors, measurements for organizational resiliency and understanding of how the black cloud of customer doubt begins how it can be measured and managed. He is also in the middle of a study looking at competitive intelligence practices around the world.
Publications during the last 7 years
Papers in Refereed Journals
- Calof, J.L., Søilen, K., Klavans, R., Abdulkader, B. and Moudni, I. 2022. Understanding the structure, characteristics, and future of collective intelligence using local and global bibliometric analysis. Technological Forecasting and Social Change, 178.
- Hamkaoui, A., Oubrich, M., Calof, J.L. and El Ghazi, H. 2022. Towards an anticipatory system incorporating corporate foresight and competitive intelligence in creating knowledge: a longitudinal Moroccan bank case study. Technological Forecasting and Social Change, 174.
- Calof, J.L. and Viviers, W. 2020. Big data analytics and international market selection: An exploratory study. Journal of Intelligence Studies in Business, 10(2): 13-25.
- Calof, J.L. and Sewdass, N. 2020. On the relationship between competitive intelligence and innovation. Journal of Intelligence Studies in Business, 10(2): 32-43.
- Calof, J.L. and Bishop, P. 2020. Foresight in North America – Guest Editorial. Foresight, 22(5/6): 529-532.
- Calof, J.L. 2020. The impact of firm size on competitive intelligence activities. Foresight, 22(5/6): 563-577.
- Calof, J.L. 2020. Competitive Intelligence through the eyes of the associations. Foresight and STI Governance, 14(3).
- Kühn, M.L., Viviers, W., Sewdass, N. and Calof, J.L. 2020. The current competitive intelligence business ecosystem in South Africa. Foresight and STI Governance, 14(3).
- Calof, J.L. and Sewdass, N. 2020. The state of global competitive intelligence practices. Foresight and STI Governance, 14(3).
- Calof, J.L., Meissner, D. and Vishnevskiy, K. 2020. Corporate foresight for strategic innovation management: the case of a Russian service company. Foresight, 22(1): 14-36.
- Calof, J.L. and Colton, B. 2019. Foresight in the Canadian Government. Revue Internationale d'Intelligence Economique (R2IE), 10(2): 39-54.
- Calof, J.L. 2018. “Enhancing Innovation Performance in Companies“. Foresight and STI Governance, 12(3): 30-33.
- Calof, J.L. 2018. Enhancing Innovation Performance in Companies. Foresight and STI Governance, 12(3): 30-33.
- Calof, J.L. and Smith, J. 2018. State of the future V19 and the global futures system – a review. Foresight, 20(2): 219-220.
- Vibert, C. and Calof, J.L. 2018. Competitive intelligence in Canada. Revue Internationale d'Intelligence Economique (R2IE), 10(2): 55-67.
- Meissner, D., Calof, J.L. and Zerenko, A. 2018. Overcoming innovation challenges: A contribution from foresight and foresight networks. Technology Analysis and Strategic Management.
- Calof, J.L., Arcos, R. and Sewdass, N. 2018. Competitive Intelligence Practices of European Companies. Technology Analysis and Strategic Management, 30(6): 658-671.
- Calof, J.L., Santilli, P. and Richards, G.S. 2017. Insight through open intelligence. Journal of Intelligence Studies in Business, 7(3): 62-73.
- Calof, J.L. 2017. Canadian competitive intelligence practices – a study of practicing strategic and competitive intelligence professionals Canadian members. Foresight, 19(6): 577-589.
- Calof, J.L. 2017. Reflections on the Canadian government in competitive intelligence – programs and impacts. Foresight, 19(1): 31-47.
- Calof, J.L. 2016. Government sponsored competitive intelligence for regional and sectoral economic development: Canadian experiences. Journal of Intelligence Studies in Business, 6(1): 48-58.
- Calof, J.L., Mirabeau, L. and Richards, G.S. 2015. Towards an Environmental Awareness Model Integrating Formal and Informal Mechanisms - Lessons from the Demise of Nortel. Journal of Intelligence Studies in Business, 5(1): 57-69.
- Calof, J.L., Richards, G.S. and Smith, J.E. 2015. Foresight, competitive intelligence and business analytics - tools for making industrial programs more efficient. Foresight Russia, 9(1): 68-81.
- Calof, J.L. Gaining market insights from events. 2021.
Chapters in Books
- Vishnevskiy, K., Calof, J.L. and Meissner, D. Corporate foresight and roadmapping for innovation in Russia: A joint university corporate experience. In Schreiber, D. and Berge, Z.. Futures Thinking And Organizational Policy. UK: Palgrave MacMillan, 2019.
- Calof, J.L., Richards, G.S. and Smith, J.E. Foresight, Competitive Intelligence and Business Analytics for Developing and Running Better Programmes. In Meissner, D.. Deploying Foresight for Policy and Strategy Makers Creating Opportunities Through Public Policies and Corporate Strategies in Science, Technology and Innovation. Boston, MA, USA: Springer, 2016.
- Calof, J.L. Creating impactful intelligence : Communication Lessons From The Corporate environment and Competitive Intelligence . In Arcos, R. and Pherson, R.. Transforming intelligence: Communicating analysis in the 21st century. London, UK: Palgrave Macmillan, 2015.