- DMS 7117
- 613-562-5800 x 4779
Dr. Jonathan Calof is the UNESCO co-chair on anticipatory systems for innovation and venture creation. He is a recognized leader in intelligence and foresight, and particularly on the application of these techniques to innovation. A full professor of International Business and Strategy at the Telfer School of Management at the University of Ottawa, Dr. Calof combines research and consulting in competitive intelligence, foresight, collective intelligence, and business analytics to help organizations develop anticipatory systems that prompt the types of key insights that will lead to the innovations needed for the external environment of tomorrow.
Jonathan has given over 1000 speeches, seminars and keynote addresses around the world on anticipatory systems, including market insight, competitive intelligence, foresight and analytics, and has helped several companies and government agencies around the world enhance their capabilities in these areas. In recognition of his contribution to making fact-based decision making a reality, he has received several awards, including Frost and Sullivan’s Lifetime Achievement Award in Competitive Intelligence; the Fellow’s Award from the Strategic Consortium of Intelligence Professionals (SCIP) and their Distinguished Member award for his influence on the practice and field of intelligence. In addition to these awards, Dr. Calof has received several honorary appointments and positions including: Honorary Professor at Yunnan Normal University in China; Leading Research Fellow of the Research Laboratory for Science and Technology Studies at the Institute for Statistical Studies and Economics and Knowledge (ISSEK), National Research University Higher School of Economics in Moscow, Russia, Extraordinary Professor at North-West University in South Africa; and Adjunct Professor, University of New Brunswick (University Senate appointment). In recognition of his expertise in both foresight and intelligence, Jonathan has been appointed to the boards of numerous foresight and intelligence publications, including Competitive Intelligence Magazine, Journal of Intelligence Studies in Business, Revue International d’Intelligence Economique, Foresight and STI Governance, and Foresight Journal, and he is the past executive editor for Frontline Safety and Security. Interest in his work has also resulted in several interviews on radio and in print around the world and has been featured in national publications such as Forbes, Business Week, CIO Magazine, Financial Times, The National Post, Globe and Mail, Canadian Business, and others.
Jonathan is also a prolific author, with over 200 authored and co-authored publications to his credit. He is the author and co-editor of several books on competitive intelligence, including Gaining Market Insights from Events: A Lifetime Journey that was published by SCIP and will be released in late 2023. He was co-editor of the Competitive Intelligence Foundation’s book entitled Conference and Trade Show Intelligence and is currently working on a book on how big data and analytics can support international decisions. He is a regular contributor to Competitive Intelligence Magazine. In addition to his involvement in consulting and academia, Dr. Calof is a director, and on the advisory boards, of several companies. He also serves on the board of the Pearson Center for Progressive Policy, where he co-chairs the Economy for Tomorrow program – a series of panels held across Canada which, in true foresight fashion, focus on the issues that will confront Canada in the coming years and the policy and program ideas that can help address these issues.
Publications during the last 7 years
Papers in Refereed Journals
- Calof, J.L., Søilen, K., Klavans, R., Abdulkader, B. and Moudni, I. 2022. Understanding the structure, characteristics, and future of collective intelligence using local and global bibliometric analysis. Technological Forecasting and Social Change, 178.
- Hamkaoui, A., Oubrich, M., Calof, J.L. and El Ghazi, H. 2022. Towards an anticipatory system incorporating corporate foresight and competitive intelligence in creating knowledge: a longitudinal Moroccan bank case study. Technological Forecasting and Social Change, 174.
- Calof, J.L. and Viviers, W. 2020. Big data analytics and international market selection: An exploratory study. Journal of Intelligence Studies in Business, 10(2): 13-25.
- Calof, J.L. and Sewdass, N. 2020. On the relationship between competitive intelligence and innovation. Journal of Intelligence Studies in Business, 10(2): 32-43.
- Calof, J.L. and Bishop, P. 2020. Foresight in North America – Guest Editorial. Foresight, 22(5/6): 529-532.
- Calof, J.L. 2020. The impact of firm size on competitive intelligence activities. Foresight, 22(5/6): 563-577.
- Calof, J.L. 2020. Competitive Intelligence through the eyes of the professionals. Foresight and STI Governance, 14(3).
- Kühn, M.L., Viviers, W., Sewdass, N. and Calof, J.L. 2020. The Business Anticipatory Ecosystem outside the “First World”: Competitive Intelligence in South Africa. Foresight and STI Governance, 14(3).
- Sewdass, N. and Calof, J.L. 2020. Contemporary Practices of Intelligence Support for Competitiveness. Foresight and STI Governance, 14(3).
- Calof, J.L., Meissner, D. and Vishnevskiy, K. 2020. Corporate foresight for strategic innovation management: the case of a Russian service company. Foresight, 22(1): 14-36.
- Calof, J.L. and Colton, B. 2019. Foresight in the Canadian Government. Revue Internationale d'Intelligence Economique (R2IE), 10(2): 39-54.
- Calof, J.L. 2018. “Enhancing Innovation Performance in Companies“. Foresight and STI Governance, 12(3): 30-33.
- Calof, J.L. 2018. Enhancing Innovation Performance in Companies. Foresight and STI Governance, 12(3): 30-33.
- Calof, J.L. and Smith, J. 2018. State of the future V19 and the global futures system – a review. Foresight, 20(2): 219-220.
- Vibert, C. and Calof, J.L. 2018. Competitive intelligence in Canada. Revue Internationale d'Intelligence Economique (R2IE), 10(2): 55-67.
- Meissner, D., Calof, J.L. and Zerenko, A. 2018. Overcoming innovation challenges: A contribution from foresight and foresight networks. Technology Analysis and Strategic Management.
- Calof, J.L., Arcos, R. and Sewdass, N. 2018. Competitive Intelligence Practices of European Companies. Technology Analysis and Strategic Management, 30(6): 658-671.
- Calof, J.L., Santilli, P. and Richards, G.S. 2017. Insight through open intelligence. Journal of Intelligence Studies in Business, 7(3): 62-73.
- Calof, J.L. 2017. Canadian competitive intelligence practices – a study of practicing strategic and competitive intelligence professionals Canadian members. Foresight, 19(6): 577-589.
- Calof, J.L. 2017. Reflections on the Canadian government in competitive intelligence – programs and impacts. Foresight, 19(1): 31-47.
- Calof, J.L. 2016. Government sponsored competitive intelligence for regional and sectoral economic development: Canadian experiences. Journal of Intelligence Studies in Business, 6(1): 48-58.
- Calof, J.L. Gaining market insights from events. 2021.
Chapters in Books
- Vishnevskiy, K., Calof, J.L. and Meissner, D. Corporate foresight and roadmapping for innovation in Russia: A joint university corporate experience. In Schreiber, D. and Berge, Z.. Futures Thinking And Organizational Policy. UK: Palgrave MacMillan, 2019.
- Calof, J.L., Richards, G.S. and Smith, J.E. Foresight, Competitive Intelligence and Business Analytics for Developing and Running Better Programmes. In Meissner, D.. Deploying Foresight for Policy and Strategy Makers Creating Opportunities Through Public Policies and Corporate Strategies in Science, Technology and Innovation. Boston, MA, USA: Springer, 2016.