Residency and/or Field Project
- In-Person Residency and/or Field Project
- Find the Perfect Match
- Executives in Residence: Your Trusted Advisors
In-person Residency and/or field project
The MHA requires that students complete either an administrative residency of at least 16 weeks or a consulting project of approximately 200h. The goal of these experiential learning activities is to expand the students' experience in health care or health policy and awareness of the applicability of the material covered in the academic portion of the program to the practical world of management of health care. Taking place in your final academic session, the residency and / or field project give you an extraordinary opportunity to work closely with top Canadian healthcare leaders and put into practice your business- and health-management knowledge and skills.
In the in-person residency, students will spend four months in a dynamic healthcare setting. Work with officials to make and carry out crucial decisions. Complete valuable projects that help you advance your career goals. Experience the day-to-day life of an executive in the healthcare system. It’s all part of the Telfer MHA administrative residency—an exclusive feature of the Telfer MHA.
In the project-based residency, students will work on a relevant healthcare management problem on their own time while meeting at agreed upon times with the residency preceptor to discuss progress. The project based residency is intended to make the MHA program more appealing to working professionals who cannot take off four months of time from their work to complete a residency.
Students can do their administrative residency or their business consulting project, in English or in French, at any recognized and approved health agency.
Find the Perfect Match
The Telfer MHA makes sure your administrative residency takes into account your personal needs and specific professional objectives. Our partners include more than 90 renowned healthcare organizations located throughout the National Capital Region and across Canada. We work with you to ensure you find your perfect match—whether it’s in the public, private or not-for-profit sector; whether it’s in a large urban hospital or a smaller healthcare facility; whether it’s in a local or provincial health agency or a national research facility.
Learn From the Best
To become the best you must learn from the best. We will ensure you work with a leading healthcare executive throughout your administrative residency. This top healthcare professional, known as a preceptor, will closely supervise your administrative residency to make sure you participate in stimulating projects, take part in important organizational decisions and forge enduring relationships with influential managers throughout your host organization.
At the same time, our preceptors are leaders in Canadian healthcare who have a vested interest in cultivating the next generation of healthcare leaders. Your preceptor will not only supervise your administrative residency, but also serve as your mentor, providing you with valuable advice, guidance and support during your residency and into your career.
Examples of organizations you could work with during your residency.
- Arnprior Regional Health
- Bruyère Continuing Care
- Canadian Blood Services
- Canadian Council on Health Services Accreditation
- Canadian Institute for Health Information (CIHI)
- Champlain Local Health Integration Network (LHIN)
- Chatham-Kent Health Alliance
- Children's Hospital of Eastern Ontario (CHEO)
- Community Care Access Centre
- Hôpital Montfort
- Kingston Health Sciences Centre (KHSC)
- Toronto Central Local Health Integration Network (LHIN)
- Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care
- Ottawa Children’s Treatment Centre (OCTC)
- Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC)
- Queensway Carleton Hospital
- Resource Planning Group
- Richmond Health Services
- Royal Ottawa Health Care Group
- St. Michael's Hospital
- The Ottawa Hospital
- The Ottawa Hospital - Civic Campus
- The Ottawa Hospital - General Campus
- The Ottawa Hospital - Rehabilitation Centre
- University Health Network
- University of Ottawa Heart Institute
- Winchester District Memorial Hospital
Examples of preceptors
- Vice President, Corporate Services
- Deputy Minister
- Director Program Development/Senior Integration Consultant
- VP Planning
- President & CEO
- Vice President, Facilities Planning and Support Services
- Senior Vice President
- Vice President Rehabilitation, Mental Health, Geriatrics and Family Medicine
- Senior Director of Client Services
- CEO and Executive Vice President and Chief Administrative Officer
- CFO and VP Systems Development and Performances
- RRT, Director, Risk Management & Privacy Management
- Director & General CEO
- Executive V.P. and Chief Operating Officer
- Executive Director
- Vice President Facilities, Planning and Support Services
- Vice President, Clinical Services
- Vice President Medicine, Surgery and Critical Care
- Manager, Corporate Planning
- Vice-President, Quality Assurance & Regulatory Affairs
- Assistant Deputy Minister, Accountability and Performance Division
Executives in Residence: Your Trusted Advisors
Executives in Residence: Your Trusted Advisors
Executives in Residence are an exclusive feature of the Telfer MHA. These professionals are distinguished retired healthcare leaders who possess expert knowledge, hard-won experience and close ties with healthcare organizations throughout Canada and around the world. They are uniquely positioned to help you clarify your career goals and determine the residency placement that’s best for you.