- DMS 7121
- 613-562-5800 x 4012
Stephane Tywoniak is professor of Complex Project Management at the Telfer School of Management, University of Ottawa (Canada). He has over twenty years' experience teaching strategy, systems thinking, entrepreneurship and project management. His academic coordination track record includes: La Rochelle Business School (Project Management and Entrepreneurship Master's majors) MBA Director (Queensland University of Technology (QUT) Brisbane, Australia -2014/15); Academic Director and Founder, Executive Master in Complex Project Management (QUT, 2007/08 and 2012/14), PhD Coordinator (QUT School of Management, 2008/10).
He has extensive experience in executive education and consulting with major project-based organisations in government and industry (Australia, UK, Canada, USA).
His main research interest is the strategic interactions between business and society in complex projects/programs and strategic decision making, with a specific interest on how business organisations gain, maintain, and lose legitimacy. He has been published in Organization, International Journal of Project Management, and other international journals. He serves as the associate editor for project management on the editorial board of Systems Research and Behavioral Science, and as the associate editor for institutional theory and strategy on the editorial board of Journal of Management and Organization.
Publications during the last 7 years
Papers in Refereed Journals
- Galvin, P., Tywoniak, S.A. and Sutherland, J. 2021. Collaboration and opportunism in megaproject alliance contracts: The interplay between governance, trust and culture. International Journal of Project Management, 39(4): 394-405.
- Tywoniak, S.A., Ika, L.A. and Bredillet, C.N. 2021. A Pragmatist Approach to complexity theorizing in project studies: Orders and levels. Project Management Journal, (In Press).
- Galvin, P. and Tywoniak, S.A. 2019. How organizational boundary choices impact capability development. Construction Management and Economics, 37(12): 712-726.
- Bredillet, C.N., Tywoniak, S.A. and Tootoonchy, M. 2018. Why and how do project management offices change? A structural analysis approach. International Journal of Project Management, 36(5): 774-761.
- Bredillet, C.N., Tywoniak, S.A. and Tootoonchy, M. 2018. Exploring the dynamics of project management office and portfolio management co-evolution: A routine lens. International Journal of Project Management, 36(1): 27-42.
- Bredillet, C.N. and Tywoniak, S.A. 2016. Genesis of the special issue. International Journal of Project Management, 34(7): 1322-1327.
Chapters in Books
- Tywoniak, S.A. and Bredillet, C.N. Project Governance and Risk Management: from First Order Economizing to Second Order Complexity. In Sankaran, S., Muller, R. and Drouin, N.. Cambridge Handbook of Organizational Project Management. UK: Cambridge, 2017.
Funded Research during the last 7 years
|2021-2023||SSHRC||Major Project Behavior||R||C||PI||$ 20,000|
C: Contract (R and D) | E: Equipment Grant | R: Research Grant | S: Support Award | P: Pedagogical Grant | O: Other, U: Unknown
C: Granting Councils | G: Government | F: Foundations | I: UO Internal Funding | O: Other | U: Unknown
PI = Principal Investigator | Co-I = Co-Investigator | Co-PI = Co-Principal Investigator