- DMS 5149
- 613-562-5800 x 4690
Dr. Bonaccio earned a Ph.D. in Industrial/Organizational Psychology from Purdue University. She also holds a M.Sc. from Concordia University's John Molson School of Business and a B.A. in Psychology from McGill University. Her work focuses on the influence of anxiety and emotions in the personnel assessment and selection process. She is also interested in the facilitators of positive work experiences for employees living with disabilities. Furthermore, she is known for her work on advice and decision-making. Dr. Bonaccio is past Chair of the Canadian Society of Industrial and Organizational Psychology, and past Division Chair for the Organizational Behaviour Division at the Administrative Sciences Association of Canada. In recognition of her significant contributions to teaching and research, the University of Ottawa awarded her the Excellence in Education Prize.
Dr. Bonaccio has published in journals such as the Journal of Management, Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, Journal of Organizational Behavior, Journal of Vocational Behavior, Journal of Business Ethics, Intelligence, and Journal of Behavioral Decision Making. She has also contributed to the Encyclopedia of Industrial and Organizational Psychology and has made numerous presentations at national and international conferences. She is on the editorial board at the Journal of Business and Psychology and the Journal of Behavioral Decision Making, and she serves as an ad hoc reviewer for several other journals on a regular basis.
Publications during the last 7 years
Papers in Refereed Journals
- Ho, J., Bonaccio, S., Connelly, C.E. and Gellatly, I.R. 2022. Representative-negotiated i-deals for people with disabilities. Human Resource Management, 1-18, (In Press).
- Michalowski, M., Wilk, Sz., Michalowski, W., O'Sullivan, D., Bonaccio, S., Parimbelli, E., Carrier, M., Le Gal, G., Kingwell, S. and Peleg, M. 2021. A Health eLearning Ontology and Procedural Reasoning Approach for Developing Personalized Courses to Teach Patients About Their Medical Condition and Treatment. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 18(14): 7355.
- Powell, D.M., Bourdage, J. S. and Bonaccio, S. 2021. Shake and Fake: The Role of Interview Anxiety in Deceptive Impression Management. Journal of Business and Psychology, 36: 829-840.
- Zhang, I., Powell, D.M. and Bonaccio, S. 2021. The Role of Fear of Negative Evaluation in Interview and Workplace Anxiety. International Journal of Selection and Assessment, (In Press).
- Jetha, A., Shamaee, A., Bonaccio, S., Gignac, M., Tucker, L., Tompa, E., Bultmann, U., Norman, C., Banks, C.G. and Smith, P. 2021. Fragmentation in the future of work: A horizon scan examining the impact of the changing nature of work on vulnerable workers. American Journal of Industrial Medicine, (In Press).
- Bonaccio, S., Connelly, C.E., Gellatly, I.R., Jetha, A. and Martin Ginis, K.A. 2020. The Participation of People with Disability in the Workplace across the Employment Cycle: Employer Concerns and Research Evidence. Journal of Business and Psychology, 35: 138-158.
- Schneider, L., Powell, D.M. and Bonaccio, S. 2019. Does Interview Anxiety Predict Job Performance? International Journal of Selection and Assessment, 27(4): 328-336.
- Bonaccio, S., Lapierre, L.M. and O'Reilly, J. 2019. Creating work climates that facilitate and maximize the benefits of disclosing mental health problems in the workplace. Organizational Dynamics, 48(3): 113-122.
- Donia, M.B.L., Ronen, S., Tetrault Sirsly, C.A. and Bonaccio, S. 2019. CSR by Any Other Name? The Differential Impact of Substantive and Symbolic CSR Attributions on Employee Outcomes. Journal of Business Ethics, 157(2): 503-523.
- Bonaccio, S., Connelly, C.E., Fisher, S., Gellatly, I.R., Gignac, C. and Jetha, A. 2018. Beyond Managing Research Partnerships: Partnered Research as an Integrated Methodological Approach. Industrial and Organizational Psychology: Perspectives on Science and Practice, 11(4): 613-619.
- Peleg, M., Michalowski, W., Wilk, S., Parimbelli, E., Bonaccio, S., O'Sullivan, D., Michalowski, M., Quaglini, S. and Carrier, M. 2018. Ideating Mobile Health Behavioral Support for Compliance to Therapy for Patients with Chronic Disease: A Case Study of Atrial Fibrillation Management. Journal of Medical Systems, 42(11): 234.
- Girard, A.J., Reeve, C.L. and Bonaccio, S. 2016. Assessing Decision-Making Style in French Populations: Translation and Validation of the General Decision-Making Style Questionnaire. European Review of Applied Psychology, 66(6): 325-333.
- Bonaccio, S., Reeve, C.L. and Lyerly, J. 2016. Academic Entitlement: Its Personality and General Mental Ability Correlates, and Academic Consequences. Personality and Individual Differences, 102(November): 211-216.
- Pratt, M.G. and Bonaccio, S. 2016. Qualitative Research in I/O Psychology: Maps, Myths, and Moving Forward. Industrial and Organizational Psychology: Perspectives on Science and Practice, 9(4): 693-715.
- Bonaccio, S., O'Reilly, J., O'Sullivan, S.L. and Chiocchio, F. 2016. Nonverbal Behavior and Communication in the Workplace-A Review and an Agenda for Research. Journal of Management, 42(5): 1044-1074 .
Chapters in Books
- Lefcoe, A., Bonaccio, S. and Connelly, C.E. Managers’ reactions to job applicants and employees with disabilities. In Beatty, J., Kulkarni, M. and Hennekam, S.. Handbook of Disability and Management. Berlin: De Gruyter, 2021, (Accepted).
- Bonaccio, S. and Paik, J.E. Advice in the Workplace. In MacGeorge, E. and VanSwol, L.. The Oxford Handbook of Advice. New York: Oxford University Press, 2018, (Accepted).
- Bonaccio, S., O'Reilly, J. and O'Sullivan, S. Nonverbal Communication in Work Contexts. In Griffin, R.. Oxford Bibliographies in Management. New York: Oxford University Press, 2017.
- Bonaccio, S. Judgment and Decision making Process: Advice Giving/Taking. In Rogelberg, S.G.. The SAGE Encyclopedia of Industrial/Organizational Psychology, 2nd edition. Thousand Oaks, CA, USA: Sage Publications, 2017.
- Bonaccio, S. Social Loafing/Free-Riding . In Rogelberg, S.G.. The SAGE Encyclopedia of Industrial/Organizational Psychology, 2nd edition. Thousand Oaks, CA, USA: Sage Publications, 2017.
- O'Reilly, J. and Bonaccio, S. Nonverbal Communication. In Rogelberg, S.G.. The SAGE Encyclopedia of Industrial/Organizational Psychology, 2nd edition. Thousand Oaks, CA, USA: Sage Publications, 2017.
- Bonaccio, S. and Connelly, C.E. Physical disabilities at work. In Rogelberg, S.G.. The SAGE Encyclopedia of Industrial/Organizational Psychology, 2nd edition. Thousand Oaks, CA, USA: Sage Publications, 2017.
- Bonaccio, S. Wonderlic Personnel Test. In Zeigler-Hill, V. and Shackelford, T.. Encyclopedia of Personality and Individual Differences. Springer International Publishing, 2016, (In Press).
Funded Research during the last 7 years
|2020-2024||SSHRC||Informal Accommodations as Social Exchange: Canadian Managers' Reactions to Employees with and without Disabilities||R||C||PI||$ 170,463|
|2019-2021||Tri-agency Institutional Programs Secretariat: New Frontiers in Research Fund||Future-Proofing young Canadians with disabilities for the changing labour market||R||C||Co-I||$ 247,361|
|2018-2023||SSHRC||How can managers support and ensure the positive consequences of employees' disclosure of a mental health challenge||R||C||Co-I||$ 207,576|
|2017-2022||SSHRC||Are Job Interviews Missing the Boat? Essential Unanswered Questions Regarding Interview Anxiety||R||C||Co-I||$ 135,125|
|2016-2018||Telfer School of Management Research Fund (SMRF)||The Antecedents, Manifestations, and Consequences of Mental Illness Disclosure at Work||R||I||Co-I||$ 50,000|
|2014-2021||SSHRC||Enhancing community participation in Canadians with physical disabilities: development, implementation and||R||C||Co-I||$ 2,643,997|
|2014-2017||Faculty of Social Science||Strategic Decision-Making: A test of the SLS Game||R||I||Co-I||$ 20,000|
C: Contract (R and D) | E: Equipment Grant | R: Research Grant | S: Support Award | P: Pedagogical Grant | O: Other, U: Unknown
C: Granting Councils | G: Government | F: Foundations | I: UO Internal Funding | O: Other | U: Unknown
PI = Principal Investigator | Co-I = Co-Investigator | Co-PI = Co-Principal Investigator