- DMS 7159
- 613-562-5800 x 4766
Professor Mohamed Chelli holds a Master of Research degree in accounting from the Université Paris-Dauphine (France). He also holds a PhD in Business Administration (accounting) from the Université Laval (Québec, Canada) and the Université Paris-Dauphine (Paris, France) as part of a joint degree program.
Professor Chelli is teaching at the undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral levels. His teaching areas include Financial Accounting, Intermediate Accounting, Managerial Accounting, Qualitative Methods in Accounting Research, and Qualitative Stream in Social and Environmental Accounting Research.
Professor Chelli has presented his research at several national and international conferences such as: Asia-Pacific Interdisciplinary Research in Accounting Conference, Annual Congress of the European Accounting Association, Association Francophone de Comptabilité, Alternative Accounts Conference, Centre for Social and Environmental Accounting Research et Canadian Academic Accounting Association Conference. His research relates primarily, but not exclusively, to environmental disclosure, climate change, water disclosure and performance, human rights discourse, corporate socio-environmental performance indicators and sustainability ratings / rankings / certifications. Professor Chelli has published his research in such referred journals as the Journal of Business Ethics (JBE), Accounting, Auditing and Accountability Journal (AAAJ), Organizational Research Methods (ORM), Business Strategy and the Environment (BSE), Meditari Accountancy Research (MEDAR), Comptabilité-Contrôle-Audit (CCA).
Publications during the last 7 years
Papers in Refereed Journals
- Bui, T., Chelli, M. and Houqe, N. 2022. Climate Change Disclosure Ratings: The Ideological Play. Meditari Accountancy Research, 30(5): 1367-1392.
- Chelli, M. and Cunliffe, A. 2022. Anticipating and Addressing the Politicization of Research. Organizational Research Methods, 25(1): 88-113.
- Chelli, M., Durocher, S. and Fortin, A. 2019. Substantive and Symbolic Strategies Sustaining the Environmentally Friendly Ideology: A Media-sensitive Analysis of the Discourse of a Leading French Utility. Accounting, Auditing & Accountability Journal, 32(4): 1013-1042.
- Ben Amar, W. and Chelli, M. 2018. What drives voluntary corporate water disclosures? The effect of country‐ level institutions. Business Strategy and the Environment, 27(8): 1609-1622.
- Chelli, M., Durocher, S. and Fortin, A. 2018. Normativity in environmental reporting: A comparison of three regimes. Journal of Business Ethics, 149(2): 285-311.
Funded Research during the last 7 years
|2022-2023||Africa Call for Accounting & Finance Research Initiative (ACAFRI 2022-2023)||Steering water accountability, governance, and SDG 6 in Africa: The case of Nigeria and Ghana, and their accounting profession||R||O||Co-I||$ 10,497|
|2018-2020||SSHRC||Corporate Water Performance, Market Valuation and Cost of Equity Capital||R||C||PI||$ 43,402|
|2018-2019||Telfer School of Management||Research Fund Start-Up||R||I||PI||$ 10,000|
|2018||University of Ottawa, Office of the Vice-President, Research||Visiting Researcher Program – Professor Ataur Belal (Sheffield University, UK)||R||O||PI||$ 5,000|
|2017||University of Ottawa & Telfer School of Management||Corporate Water-related Risks: Disclosure, Performance and Market Valuation||R||I||PI||$ 14,000|
|2016-2017||Telfer School of Management||Research Fund Start-Up||R||I||PI||$ 10,000|
|2015-2016||Federal University, Toulouse Midi-Pyrénées, France||Environmental communication: Comparison between France and Canada||R||O||PI||$ 21,517|
C: Contract (R and D) | E: Equipment Grant | R: Research Grant | S: Support Award | P: Pedagogical Grant | O: Other, U: Unknown
C: Granting Councils | G: Government | F: Foundations | I: UO Internal Funding | O: Other | U: Unknown
PI = Principal Investigator | Co-I = Co-Investigator | Co-PI = Co-Principal Investigator