Laurent Lapierre (He/Him)
- DMS 5129
- 613-562-5800 x 4914
Dr. Lapierre's educational background is in industrial-organizational psychology and business administration. His primary research interests are in the areas of occupational health psychology (OHP) and leadership. His OHP research provides insights into how individuals can more easily balance their work and personal lives, and how employees can more easily cope with a mental health challenge (e.g., anxiety, depression). Dr. Lapierre’s work on leadership has focused on relational dynamics between leaders and followers, with particular focus on how followers contribute to the leadership process.
Dr. Lapierre's research has been published in several respected scholarly journals, such as the Journal of Management, Personnel Psychology, the Journal of Organizational Behavior, the Journal of Occupational Health Psychology, the Journal of Vocational Behavior, The Leadership Quarterly, and the Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology. He is past associate editor of the Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology and of the Canadian Journal of Administrative Sciences, and currently serves as Associate Editor for the Journal of Business and Psychology. He also sits on the editorial boards of The Leadership Quarterly, the Journal of Occupational Health Psychology, and Occupational Health Science.
Dr. Lapierre is a passionate and committed educator. The University of Ottawa awarded him an Excellence in Education Prize for demonstrating outstanding teaching while maintaining a solid program of research. He provides executive education, and is particularly committed to helping managers and executives develop their interpersonal skills by enabling greater self-awareness.
Publications during the last 7 years
Papers in Refereed Journals
- Vaziri, H., Wayne, J.H., Casper, W.J., Lapierre, L.M., Greenhaus, J. H., Amirkamali, F. and Li, Y. 2022. A meta-analytic investigation of the personal and work-related antecedents of work-family balance. Journal of Organizational Behavior, 43(4): 662-692.
- Bonaccio, S., Lapierre, L.M. and O'Reilly, J. 2019. Creating work climates that facilitate and maximize the benefits of disclosing mental health problems in the workplace. Organizational Dynamics, 48(3): 113-122.
- Lapierre, L.M., Matthews, R.M., Eby, L.T., Truxillo, D.M., Major, D.A. and Johnson, R.E. 2018. Recommended Practices for Academics to Initiate and Manage Research Partnerships with Organizations. Industrial and Organizational Psychology: Perspectives on Science and Practice, 11(4): 543-581.
- Van Steenbergen, E., Ybema, J.F. and Lapierre, L.M. 2018. Boundary Management in Action: A Diary Study of Students' School-Home Conflict. International Journal of Stress Management, 25(3): 267-282.
- McMullan, A.D., Lapierre, L.M. and Li, Y.T. 2018. A qualitative investigation of work-family-supportive coworker behaviors. Journal of Vocational Behavior, 107: 25-41.
- Lapierre, L.M., Li, Y.T., Kwan, H.K., Greenhaus, J., DiRenzo, M. and Shao, P. 2018. A meta-analytic investigation of the antecedents of work-family enrichment. Journal of Organizational Behavior, 39(4): 385-401.
- Jang, S., Kim, E.S., Cao, C., Allen, T.D., Cooper, C.L., Lapierre, L.M., O'Driscoll, M.P., Sanchez, J.I., Spector, P.E., Poelmans, S.A.Y., Abarca, N., Alexandrova, N., Antoniou, A.-S., Beham, B., Brough, P., Çarikçi, I., Ferreiro, P., Fraile, G., Geurts, S., Kinnunen, U., Lu, C., Lu, L., Moreno-Velázquez, I.F., Pagon, M., Pitariu, H., Salamatov, V., Siu, O.L., Shima, S., Schulmeyer, M.K., Tilleman, K., Widerszal-Bazyl, M. and Woo, J.M. 2017. Measurement Invariance of Life Satisfaction Across 26 Countries. Journal of Cross-Cultural Psychology, 48(4): 560-576.
- Lapierre, L.M., Van Steenbergen, E., Peeters, M.C.W. and Kluwer, E.S. 2016. Juggling work and family responsibilities when involuntarily working more from home: A multiwave study of financial sales professionals. Journal of Organizational Behavior, 37: 804-822.
- Lapierre, L.M. and Cooper, C.L. Organizational Stress and Well-Being. Cambridge, United Kingdom: Cambridge University Press, 2023.
Chapters in Books
- Lapierre, L.M., Kelloway, E.K. and Quintal-Curcic, D. Mental health at work. In Lapierre, L.M. and Cooper, C.L.. Organizational Stress and Well-Being. Cambridge, United Kingdom: Cambridge University Press, 2023.
- Lapierre, L.M. and McMullan, A.D. A review of methodological and measurement approaches to the study of work and family. In Allen, T.D. and Eby, L.T.. The Oxford Handbook of Work and Family. New York: Oxford University Press, 2016.
Funded Research during the last 7 years
|2020-2023||SSHRC||Mental illness in the workplace: Understanding the impact of mental health climate on employees||R||C||Collaborator||$ 65,798|
|2018-2024||SSHRC||How can managers support and ensure the positive consequences of employees' disclosure of a mental health challenge?||R||C||PI||$ 207,576|
|2016-2018||Telfer School of Management, Partnership Development Grant Program (SSHRC stream), University of Ottawa||The Antecedents, Manifestations, and Consequences of Mental Illness Disclosure at Work||R||I||PI||$ 50,000|
C: Contract (R and D) | E: Equipment Grant | R: Research Grant | S: Support Award | P: Pedagogical Grant | O: Other, U: Unknown
C: Granting Councils | G: Government | F: Foundations | I: UO Internal Funding | O: Other | U: Unknown
PI = Principal Investigator | Co-I = Co-Investigator | Co-PI = Co-Principal Investigator