- DMS 4109
- 613-562-5800 x 4796
- FOR ALL INQUIRIES RELATED TO CAREER DEVELOPMENT:
Professor Patrick's research interests are in applying the methods of operations research to improve the efficiency of health care management. His PhD thesis involved a Markov decision process model that sought to determine intelligent multi-priority patient scheduling policies with the goal of maintaining reasonable priority-specific wait times. His current research interests are in capacity planning within health care as well as continuing to explore scheduling challenges. On the theoretical side, Professor Patrick is interested in seeking to advance the field of approximate dynamic programming.
Professor Patrick is a member of INFORMS and CORS. He is also an affiliate with the Centre for Health Care Management at UBC.
Publications during the last 7 years
Papers in Refereed Journals
- Babashov, V., Sauré, A., Ozturk, O. and Patrick, J. 2023. Setting Wait Time Targets in a Multi-Priority Patient Setting: An Inverse Optimization Approach. Production and Operations Management, 32(6): 1958-1974.
- Moosavi, A., Ozturk, O. and Patrick, J. 2022. Staff Scheduling for Residential Care Under Pandemic Conditions: The Case of COVID-19. Omega, 112: 102671.
- Dehnoei, S., Sauré, A., Ozturk, O., Gardner, W., Pajera, K., Sheppard, R. and Patrick, J. 2022. A stochastic optimization approach for staff scheduling decisions at inpatient units. International Transactions in Operational Research, (Accepted).
- Labijak-Kowalska, A., Kadzinski, M., Spychata, I., Dias, L., Fiallos, J., Patrick, J., Michalowski, M. and Farion, K. 2021. Performance evaluation of emergency department physicians using robust value-based additive efficiency model. International Transactions in Operational Research, 30(1): 503-544.
- Kamyabniya, A., Noormohammadzadeh, Z., Sauré, A. and Patrick, J. 2021. A Robust Integrated Logistics Model for Age-Based Multi-Group Platelets in Disaster Relief Operations. Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, 152: 102371.
- Legrain, A. and Patrick, J. 2021. Inventory Management Using an (s,S)-Policy at The Bank of Canada. INFORMS Journal of Applied Analytics, 52(2): 210-225.
- Sauré, A., Begen, M. and Patrick, J. 2020. Dynamic Multi-Priority, Multi-Class Patient Scheduling with Stochastic Service Times. European Journal of Operational Research, 280(1): 254-265.
- Bidhandi, H., Patrick, J., Noghani, P. and Varshoei, P. 2019. Capacity Planning for a Network of Community Care Services. European Journal of Operational Research, 275(1): 266-279.
- Patrick, J., Montazeri, A., Michalowski, M. and Bannerjee, D. 2019. Automated Pathologist Scheduling at The Ottawa Hospital. INFORMS Journal of Applied Analytics, 49(2): 93-103.
- Ozturk, O. and Patrick, J. 2018. An optimization model for freight transport using urban rail transit. European Journal of Operational Research, 267(3): 1110-1121.
- Bidhandi, H., Noghani, P. and Patrick, J. 2017. Accelerated Sample Average Approximation Method for Two-Stage Stochastic Programming. Applied Mathematical Modelling, 41(January 2017): 582-595.
- Fiallos, J., Patrick, J., Michalowski, M. and Farion, K. 2017. Using Data Envelopment Analysis for Assessing the Performance of Pediatric Emergency Department Physicians. Health Care Management Science, 20(1): 129-140.
Funded Research during the last 7 years
|2022-2023||MITACS||Scheduling and Routing of Personal Support Workers in Home Health Care||R||G||PI||$ 30,000|
|2021-2024||National Research Council of Canada (NRC), Small Teams Initiative||Resilience and Adaptation to Climatic Extreme (RACE) Wildfires (Research initiative with a budget of $1,921,000 dollars)||R||G||Co-I||$ 75,000|
|2021||Telfer School of Management Research Grants (SMRG)||Robust Deep Reinforcement Learning for Portfolio Management||R||I||PI||$ 4,000|
|2020-2025||NSERC||Stochasticity in Approximate Dynamic Programming||R||C||PI||$ 155,000|
|2020-2021||MITACS||A deep risk-sensitive reinforcement learning framework for portfolio management||R||O||Co-PI||$ 15,000|
|2020-2021||MITACS||Robust Resource-Service-to-Patient Allocation Planning in Mass Casualty Incidents||R||O||Co-PI||$ 6,000|
|2020||Telfer School of Management Research Grants (SMRG)||An Adjustable Robust Optimization Approach for personnel scheduling under uncertain demand||R||I||PI||$ 4,000|
|2019-2020||Telfer School of Management Research Grants (SMRG), Postdoctoral Research Fellowship Support Grant||Home Health Care Scheduling and routing||R||I||PI||$ 30,000|
|2018-2021||Health System Research Fund, Program Awards||Informing Health System Reform for Long-Term and Community Care||R||G||Co-I||$ 2,085,701|
|2017||Telfer School of Management Research Grants (SMRG)||Capacity Planning for a Mood and Anxiety Disorder Outpatient Clinic using the CAPA Service Management Management System||R||I||PI||$ 4,000|
|2016||Telfer School of Management Research Fund (SMRF Leverage)||Simulation Optimizing of a Community Care Network||R||I||PI||$ 6,000|
|2016||Telfer School of Management Research Fund (SMRF Leverage)||Simulation of Policy Deployment||R||I||Co-PI||$ 6,000|
|2016||Bank of Canada||A two-way, Multi-site Inventory Management Model with a Threshold Cost Structure||R||G||PI||$ 25,000|
|2015-2020||NSERC||Improving Patient Flow Through Acute Care||R||C||Co-PI||$ 110,000|
|2015-2016||Bruyère Research Institute||Community care capacity planning||R||F||PI||$ 15,000|
|2012||IBM CBAP||A Model for Performance Evaluation of Pediatric Emergency Department Physicians||R||I||PI||$ 10,000|
C: Contract (R and D) | E: Equipment Grant | R: Research Grant | S: Support Award | P: Pedagogical Grant | O: Other, U: Unknown
C: Granting Councils | G: Government | F: Foundations | I: UO Internal Funding | O: Other | U: Unknown
PI = Principal Investigator | Co-I = Co-Investigator | Co-PI = Co-Principal Investigator