- DMS 5121
- 613-562-5800 x 4774
Dr. Dimoff earned a PhD in Industrial/Organizational Psychology from Saint Mary’s University and holds a B.Sc. from Queen’s University. Dr. Dimoff joined the faculty at Telfer in 2019, after spending three years at Portland State University, where she maintains status as an Affiliate Faculty member. She is also an Affiliate Faculty member at Oregon Health & Science University. Her primary area of research focuses on the intersections between leadership, occupational health and safety, and employee training and development. As the youngest recipient of the Society of Industrial/Organizational Psychology (SIOP) Scientist-Practitioner Recognition Award, her research reflects her firm endorsement of the scientist-practitioner model. She has worked with local, national, and international organizations to develop, deliver, and evaluate evidence-based solutions to real workplace problems. Most notably, Dr. Dimoff co-developed the Mental Health Awareness Training (MHAT)—one of the first scientifically evaluated mental health training programs for workplace leaders to demonstrate ROI. In addition to numerous journal publications and chapters, she has also co-edited a book, Leading to Occupational Health and Safety: How Leadership Behaviours Impact Organizational Safety and Well-Being.
Publications during the last 7 years
Papers in Refereed Journals
- Gilbert, S., Brady, J., Dimoff, J.K., McPhee, T. and Macleod, R. 2023. Pregnancy Loss and the Workplace: Qualitative Experiences of Full-time Employees. Journal of Vocational Behavior.
- Kelloway, E.K., Dimoff, J.K. and Gilbert, S.L. 2023. Mental Health in the Workplace. Annual Review of Organizational Psychology and Organizational Behavior, 10: 363-387.
- Hammer, L.B., Allen, S. and Dimoff, J.K. 2022. The Missing Link: The Role of the Workplace in Mental Health. Workplace Health & Safety, 70(8): 384-384.
- Anger, W.K., Dimoff, J.K. and Alley, L. 2022. Addressing Healthcare Workers’ Mental Health through Interventions: A Systematic Review. American Journal of Public Health, (Accepted).
- Gulseren, D., Thibault, T., Kelloway, E.K., Gilbert, S., Mullen, J., Dimoff, J.K. and Teed, M. 2021. R.I.G.H.T. Leadership: Scale Development and Validation of a Psychologically Healthy Leadership Model. Canadian Journal of Administrative Sciences/Revue canadienne des sciences de l'administration.
- Gilbert, S.L., Mullen, J., Kelloway, E.K., Dimoff, J.K., Teed, M. and McPhee, T. 2021. The C.A.R.E. Model of Employee Bereavement Support. Journal of Occupational Health Psychology, 26(5): 405–420.
- Dimoff, J.K. and Kelloway, E.K. 2019. With a Little Help from My Boss: The Impact of Workplace Mental Health Training on Leader Behaviors and Employee Resource Utilization. Journal of Occupational Health Psychology, 24(1): 4-19.
- Dimoff, J.K. and Kelloway, E.K. 2019. Mental Health Problems are Management Problems: Exploring the Critical Role of Managers in Supporting Employee Mental Health. Organizational Dynamics, 48(3): 105-112.
- Oakie, T., Smith, N.A.**, Dimoff, J.K. and Kelloway, E.K. 2018. Coworker Health Awareness Training: An Evaluation. Journal of Applied Biobehavioral Research, 23(4): e12148.
- Dimoff, J.K. and Kelloway, E.K. 2018. Signs of Struggle (SOS): The Development and Validation of a Behavioural Mental Health Checklist for the Workplace. Work and Stress, 33(3): 295-313.
- Dimoff, J.K., Kelloway, E.K. and Burnstein, M. 2016. Mental Health Awareness Training (MHAT): The Development and Evaluation of an Intervention for Leaders. International Journal of Stress Management, 23(2): 167-189.
- Kelloway, E.K., Nielsen, K. and Dimoff, J.K. Leading to Occupational Health and Safety: How Leadership Behaviours Impact Organizational Safety and Well-Being. New Jersey, USA: John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2017.
Chapters in Books
- Dimoff, J.K., Gilbert, S.L., Brady, J. and Macleod, R.**. Motherhood and mental health: Perinatal mood disorders and work. In Day, A. and Cooper, C.L.. Mental Health and the Workplace. New York: Routledge, 2022, (In Press).
- Dimoff, J.K., Yoder, O.* and Vogel, W.E.S.**. Mental health in the workplace: Where we’ve been and where we’re going. In Kelloway, E.K. and Cooper, C.L.. Research Agenda for Workplace Stress and Wellbeing. London: Edward Elgar Publishing, 2021.
- Denning, E., Dimoff, J.K. and Mohr, C.D. Mental health in the workplace: Research, interventions, and future directions. In Gurung, R.. The Routledge Encyclopedia of Psychology in the Real World. Abingdon, UK: Informa UK Ltd., 2020, (In Press).
- Kelloway, E.K. and Dimoff, J.K. Leadership interventions to improve well-being. In Research Handbook on Work and Well-being. Cheltenham, UK: Edward Elgar Publishing, 2017.
- Dimoff, J.K. and Kelloway, E.K. Leaders as resources: How managers and supervisors can socially support employees towards better mental health and wellbeing. In Kelloway, E.K., Nielsen, K. and Dimoff, J.K.. Leading to Occupational Health and Safety: How Leadership Behaviours Impact Organizational Safety and Wellbeing. Wiley, 2017.
- Kelloway, E.K., Nielsen, K. and Dimoff, J.K. Leading to occupational health and safety: Introduction. In Kelloway, E.K., Nielsen, K. and Dimoff, J.K.. Leading to Occupational Health and Safety: How Leadership Behaviours Impact Organizational Safety and Wellbeing. Wiley, 2017.
- Kelloway, E.K., Penney, S. and Dimoff, J.K. Leading the psychologically healthy workplace: The RIGHT way. In Kelloway, E.K., Nielsen, K. and Dimoff, J.K.. Leading to Occupational Health and Safety: How Leadership Behaviours Impact Organizational Safety and Wellbeing. Wiley, 2017.
- Dimoff, J.K. and Kelloway, E.K. Resource utilization model: Organizational leaders as resource facilitators. In Gentry, W.A., Clerkin, C., Perrewe, P.L., Halbesleben, J.R.B. and Rosen, C.C.. Research in Occupational Stress and Wellbeing: Book Series. Emerald, 2017.
Invited Contributions and/or Technical Reports
- Anger, W.K., Dimoff, J.K. and Alley, L. 2023. "Mental health Interventions in Healthcare: A Systematic Review".
- Dimoff, J.K., Vogel, W.E.S.**, Hamilton, K. and Smith, N. A. 2018. "Northwestern Mutual Oregon/Washington needs assessment", Report to the Northwestern Mutual Executive Team: Portland, OR..
- Vogel, W.E.S.** and Dimoff, J.K. 2018. "Mental health awareness training (MHAT) for Cultivators", Report to Ruby: Portland, OR..
Funded Research during the last 7 years
|2023-2028||SSHRC Insight||Mental health training in sport: A partnership with Soccer Canada||R||C||Co-I||$ 320,000|
|2022-2027||Canada Foundation for Innovation (CFI) - John R. Evans Leaders Fund||Inclusion, Interaction, and Intervention: The Triple-I Lab||E||F||PI||$ 519,576|
|2022-2027||CIHR Operating Grant||Addressing the harms of COVID-19 on the health of the Canadian health workforce: Evaluation of an evidence-informed, multi-level intervention strategy||R||C||Collaborator||$ 249,247|
|2022-2027||SSHRC Insight||Bereavement support in the workplace||R||C||Co-I||$ 147,325|
|2022-2027||Ontario Research Fund (ORF)||Inclusion, Interaction, and Intervention: The Triple-I Lab||E||G||PI||$ 519,577|
|2022-2023||Office of the Provost and VP Academic||Perinatal Mental Health and Work||R||I||PI||$ 9,940|
|2021-2026||SSHRC Insight Grant||Being a manager and a subordinate who foster psychological health at work. A competency-based approach through an organizational intervention||R||C||Co-I||$ 235,635|
|2020-2023||SSHRC - Insight Development Grants||Mental illness in the workplace: Understanding the impact of mental health climate on employees||R||C||PI||$ 65,798|
|2020-2023||Gulf Research Program of the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine||Bringing high-reliability safety culture decisions into focus: Training with interactive fuzzy cognitive mapping||R||G||Co-I||$ 212,862|
|2020-2022||CIHR||Organizational response to disease||R||C||Co-I||$ 333,300|
|2020-2022||New Brunswick Health Research Foundation||Organizational response to disease||R||F||Co-I||$ 82,000|
|2020-2021||Telfer School of Management||Research Accelerator Grant - COVID-19 Pandemic Special Support||S||I||PI||$ 10,000|
|2020-2021||Research Nova Scotia||Organizational response to disease||R||G||Co-I||$ 54,000|
|2019-2022||U.S. Department of Defense, Defense Health Program, Psychological Health and Traumatic Brain Injury Research Program||Behavioral health and resilience training for military leaders||R||G||Co-I||$ 2,484,900|
|2018-2019||Northwest Center for Occupational Health & Safety at the University of Washington||Mental health training at scale: Developing online tools for evidence-based workplace solutions||R||G||PI||$ 9,113|
|2018-2019||Northwestern Mutual||Occupational health and safety: A needs assessment in a financial firm||S||O||PI||$ 7,500|
|2018-2019||Portland State University Enhancement Grant||No Health without mental health: The development of a mental health climate scale to advance workplace mental health research||R||O||PI||$ 14,895|
|2017-2019||Ruby||Mental health training in the workplace: A call center evaluation||S||O||PI||$ 5,000|
|2015-2016||Multi-Health Systems and Colonnade-Bridgeport||Training for leaders: A longitudinal study on mental health at work||S||O||PI||$ 5,000|
|2013-2016||SSHRC||Joseph-Armand Bombardier Canada Graduate Scholarship, Doctoral||R||C||PI||$ 105,000|
C: Contract (R and D) | E: Equipment Grant | R: Research Grant | S: Support Award | P: Pedagogical Grant | O: Other, U: Unknown
C: Granting Councils | G: Government | F: Foundations | I: UO Internal Funding | O: Other | U: Unknown
PI = Principal Investigator | Co-I = Co-Investigator | Co-PI = Co-Principal Investigator