Professor Richards conducts research into organizational performance management, Business Intelligence and Business Analytic practices and outcomes in public and private sector organizations. He leads the Centre for Business Analytics and Performance that explores emerging technical and social issues related to analytics, Internet of Things and Artificial Intelligence. He also coordinates the BDO/Interis Public Sector Performance Management research cluster that examines performance strategies unique to public management.
Professor Richards has taught Strategy, Organizational Behaviour, Human Resource Management, Organization Design and Change Management. He currently teaches courses on Corporate Performance Management and Business Intelligence/Business Analytics in the MBA and EMBA programs. In addition, he teaches the Management Consulting course and coordinates the MBA Consulting project.
Prior to his academic appointment, Professor Richards worked at Transport Canada and at Consulting and Audit Canada as well as with Cognos Incorporated. He also has over 20 years of consulting experience and is a Certified Management Consultant, a Fellow of the CMC-Ontario Institute of Management Consultants, and an Academic Fellow of the International Council of Management Consulting Institutes.
Publications during the last 7 years
Chapters in Books
- Calof, J.L., Richards, G.S. and Smith, J.E. Foresight, Competitive Intelligence and Business Analytics for Developing and Running Better Programmes. In Meissner, D.. Deploying Foresight for Policy and Strategy Makers Creating Opportunities Through Public Policies and Corporate Strategies in Science, Technology and Innovation. Boston, MA, USA: Springer, 2016.
- Yu, E., Horkoff, J., Mylopoulos, J. and Richards, G.S. Business Modeling. In Ng, R., Barbosa, D., Carenini G., Jou, S., Leung, R.A., Milios, E., Miller, R., Pottingev, R. and Yu, E.. Business Intelligence. Morgan and Claypool, 2013.
Papers in Refereed Journals
- Calof, J.L., Santilli, P. and Richards, G.S. 2017. Insight through open intelligence. Journal of Intelligence Studies in Business, 7(3): 62-73.
- Calof, J.L., Mirabeau, L. and Richards, G.S. 2015. Towards an Environmental Awareness Model Integrating Formal and Informal Mechanisms - Lessons from the Demise of Nortel. Journal of Intelligence Studies in Business, 5(1): 57-69.
- Mohammadi, M., Al-Azab, F., Raahemi, B., Richards, G.S., Jaworska, N., Smith, D.C., de la Salle, S., Blier, P. and Knott, V. 2015. Data Mining EEG Signals in Depression for their Diagnostic Value. BMC Medical Informatics and Decision Making, 15(1): 108.
- Calof, J.L., Richards, G.S. and Smith, J.E. 2015. Foresight, competitive intelligence and business analytics - tools for making industrial programs more efficient. Foresight Russia, 9(1): 68-81.
- Richards, G.S. and Duxbury, L. 2015. Work Group Knowledge Acquisition in Public Sector Organizations: An Exploratory Study. Journal of Public Administration Research and Theory, 25(4): 1247-1277.
- Goh, S.C., Elliott, C. and Richards, G.S. 2015. Performance management in Canadian public organizations: Findings of a multi-case study. International Journal of Productivity and Performance Management, 64(2): 157-174.
- Ozer, R. and Richards, G.S. 2015. Optimizing surgical capacity for a rural hospital using Monte Carlo simulation. Journal for Healthcare Quality.
- Coderre, D. and Richards, G.S. 2014. Integrating Risk and Performance Measurement: a proposed model. Optimum Online: The Journal of Public Sector Management, 44(2): 15-21.
- Chee, C.H., Yeoh, W., Gao, S. and Richards, G.S. 2014. Improving Business Intelligence Traceability and Accountability: An Integrated Framework of BI Product and Metacontent Map. Journal of Database Management, 25(3): 28-47.
- Yeoh, W., Richards, G.S. and Wang, S. 2014. Benefits and Barriers to Corporate Performance Management Systems. Journal of Computer Information Systems, 55(1): 105-116.
- Danesh, M.H., Raahemi, B., Kamali, S.M.A. and Richards, G.S. 2013. A Framework for Process and Performance Management in Service Oriented Virtual Organizations. International Journal of Computer Information Systems and Industrial Management, 5: 203-215.
Invited Contributions and/or Technical Reports
- Calof, J.L., Richards, G.S., Mirabeau, L., Vasudev, P.M., Mouftah, H., MacKinnon, P. and Chapman, P. 2014. "An Overview of the Demise of Nortel Networks and Key Lessons Learned", University of Ottawa, Ottawa, ON, Canada, 35 pages.
Funded Research during the last 7 years
Funded Research during the last 7 years
Ontario Centres of Excellence Inc.
Healthnow! Development of online patient engagement prototype (with Dr. Laith Bustani and Dr. Jom Aw)
Business Intelligence Network-A Networked Centre of Excellence (project on Adaptive Architectures - with Daniel Amyot)
C: Contract (R and D) | E: Equipment Grant | R: Research Grant | S: Support Award | P: Pedagogical Grant | O: Other, U: Unknown
C: Granting Councils | G: Government | F: Foundations | I: UO Internal Funding | O: Other | U: Unknown
PI = Principal Investigator | Co-I = Co-Investigator | Co-PI = Co-Principal Investigator