- DMS 6127
- 613-562-5800 x 4921
Dr. Daina Mazutis is a tenured Associate Professor of Strategy at the University of Ottawa where she also holds the Endowed Professorship in Ethics, Responsibility and Sustainability (ERS). Daina’s research on leadership, strategy and sustainability has been published in several edited books as well as peer-reviewed journals such as: Academy of Management Learning and Education, Business & Society, California Management Review, Journal of Business Ethics, Organizations & Environment amongst others. Her work has also been honoured with numerous prestigious awards and has been presented broadly at conferences internationally. Prior to joining the University of Ottawa, Daina was a Professor of Strategy, Leadership and Ethics at IMD in Lausanne, Switzerland and spent over ten years in various marketing, advertising, sales and consulting roles. She holds an MBA from the University of Ottawa, a PhD from the Richard Ivey School of Business, University of Western Ontario and is a graduate of the ICD Directors Education Program. Dr. Mazutis currently sits on the Board of Prime Ministers’ Row and Riga Business School.
Publications during the last 7 years
Papers in Refereed Journals
- Mazutis, D. and Sweet, L. 2022. The business of accelerating sustainable urban development: A systematic review and synthesis. Journal of Cleaner Production, 357.
- Mazutis, D., Hanly, K. and Eckardt, A. 2022. Sustainability (in not) in the boardroom: Evidence and implications of attentional voids. Sustainability, 14(14): 8391.
- Mazutis, D., Slawinski, N. and Palazzo, G. 2020. A time and place for sustainability: A spatiotemporal perspective on organizational sustainability frame development. Business and Society.
- Mazutis, D. and Abolina, E. 2019. The five I model of sustainability leadership: Lessons from the Zibi One Planet Living sustainable urban development. Journal of Cleaner Production.
- Slawinski, N., Winsor, B., Mazutis, D., Schouten, J. and Smith, W.K. 2019. Managing the paradoxes of place to foster regeneration. Organization & Environment.
- Mazutis, D. 2017. Sleepwalking into catastrophe: Cognitive biases and corporate climate change inertia. California Management Review, 59(3): 74-108.
Chapters in Books
- Manivannan, A. and Mazutis, D. The promise and potential of One Planet Living. In Allam, Z.. Sustainable Urban Transitions: Research, Policy, and Practice. Berlin: Springer Nature, 2023.
- Mazutis, D. and Eckardt, A. Overcoming cognitive biases that contribute to corporate climate change inertia. In Mackie, D.. Handbook of Climate Change Leadership in Organisations. Milton Park, Abingdon, Oxfordshire, UK: Routledge, 2023, (In Press).
- Mazutis, D. and Zintel, C. Beyond CSR: Global leadership virtues that make a difference. In Zander, L.. Research Handbook of Global Leadership: Making a difference. London: Edward Elgar Publishing, 2020.
- Mazutis, D. Much ado about nothing: The glacial pace of CSR implementation in practice. In Weber, J. and Wasieleski, D.. Business and Society 360. Emerald, 2018.
- Mazutis, D. Authentic leadership. In Rowe, W.G. and Guerrero L.. Cases in Leadership. Thousand Oaks, CA, USA: Sage Publications, 2018.
- Crossan, M., Mazutis, D., Reno, M. and Rae, P. Leadership virtues: A perspective in practice. In Sison, A.. Handbook of Virtue Ethics in Business and Management. Boston, MA, USA: Springer, 2017.
- Crossan, M., Seijts, G., Reno, M. and Mazutis, D. Developing character in business schools. In Sison, A.. Handbook of Virtue Ethics in Business and Management. Boston, MA, USA: Springer, 2017.
Invited Contributions and/or Technical Reports
- O'Sullivan, A. and Mazutis, D. 2022. "Moving Towards a Greener Canada: A 2019-2022 Review, a UN PRME SIP Report (United Nations Principles of Responsible Management Education Sharing Information on Progress Report)", September, https://www.unprme.org/telfer-school-of-management.
- Mazutis, D. 2021. "The business of accelerating sustainable urban transitions", March.
Other Scholarly Contributions
- (Case) Mazutis, D. 2022. "Bridgehead: The sale of “Ottawa’s biggest little coffee shop”". (not published)
- (Case) Mazutis, D. and Abolina, E. 2018. "Zibi - One Planet Living: Overcoming Strategic Business Challenges In Sustainable Community Development". (Not published)
- (Case) Mazutis, D. and Ionescu-Somers, A. 2016. "Firmenich: Making scents of complexity". (Not published)
- (Case) 2016. "The Masdar Project: A Beacon of Sustainability in a Sea of Oil ". (Not published)
Funded Research during the last 7 years
|2023-2026||SSHRC||Enabling Systems Transitions towards Inclusive Innovation||R||C||Co-A||$ 198,793|
|2021-2025||SSHRC||Getting to One Planet Living: How construction and development leaders are tackling climate change||R||C||PI||$ 166,019|
|2021-2025||SSHRC||Special Response Fund for Trainees (Ukraine)||S||C||PI||$ 45,000|
|2020-2022||SSHRC||The business of accelerating sustainable urban transformations in Canada||R||C||PI||$ 41,914|
|2017-2018||University of Ottawa, Research Management Services||Are boards on board with climate change action?||R||I||PI||$ 10,000|
|2017-2018||Telfer School of Management Research Grants (SMRG)||Are boards on board with climate change action?||R||I||PI||$ 10,000|
|2016-2017||Telfer School of Management Research Grants (SMRG)||Corporate change (in)action: Are boards on board||R||I||PI||$ 12,000|
C: Contract (R and D) | E: Equipment Grant | R: Research Grant | S: Support Award | P: Pedagogical Grant | O: Other, U: Unknown
C: Granting Councils | G: Government | F: Foundations | I: UO Internal Funding | O: Other | U: Unknown
PI = Principal Investigator | Co-I = Co-Investigator | Co-PI = Co-Principal Investigator