- DMS 6104
- 613-562-5800 x 4570
Christopher Sun is an Assistant Professor the University of Ottawa Telfer School of Management and a Scientist at the University of Ottawa Heart Institute. His research interests lie at the intersection of optimization, artificial intelligence, public health, and health equity. His research primarily revolves around utilizing data-driven optimization, machine learning, and simulation techniques to inform the design of healthcare systems and development of public health policies. He has conducted his research in collaboration with multiple health institutes including Massachusetts General Hospital (Boston, USA), Boston Emergency Medical Services (Boston, USA), Israel National Emergency Medical Services (Magen David Adom; Israel), St. Michael’s Hospital (Toronto, Canada), and Gentofte Hospital (Copenhagen, Denmark). He received his BASc in Engineering Science (Biomedical Engineering) and PhD in Industrial Engineering from the University of Toronto. He was also a Postdoctoral Fellow and Visiting Assistant Professor at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology’s Sloan School of Management.
Professor Sun has published in leading journals, including the Journal of the American College of Cardiology, Circulation, Health Affairs, and Journal of the American Medical Directors Association. He is a recipient of a CIHR Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship and an American Heart Association Young Investigator Award as well as has been named to the Citizen CPR Foundation’s 40 Under 40 List (Class of 2021). His research has also been covered by the New York Times, Globe and Mail, Toronto Star, Huffington Post, CTV, and Reuters.
Publications during the last 7 years
Papers in Refereed Journals
- Sun, C.L.F., Li, D., Zenteno, A.C., Bravard, M.A., Carolan, P., Daily, B., Elamin, S., Ha, J., Moore, A., Safavi, K., Yun, B.J., Dunn, P., Levi, R. and Ritcher, J.M. 2022. Low-Volume Bowel Preparation Is Associated with Reduced Time to Colonoscopy in Hospitalized Patients: A Propensity-Matched Analysis. Clinical and Translational Gastroenterology, 13(7): e00482.
- Sun, C.L.F., Jaffe, E. and Levi, R. 2022. Increased emergency cardiovascular events among under-40 population in Israel during vaccine rollout and third COVID-19 wave. Scientific Reports, 12(1): 1-12.
- Sun, C.L.F., Dyer, S., Salvia, J., Segal, L. and Levi, R. 2021. Evidence of worse outcomes related to out-of- hospital cardiac arrest during the COVID-19 pandemic due to patient reluctance to seek care. Health Affairs, 40(6).
- Karlsson, L., Sun, C.L.F., Torp-Pedersen, C., Wodschow, K., Ersbøll, A.K. , Wissenberg, M., Hansen, C.M., Morrison, L., Chan, T.C.Y. and Folke, F. 2021. Implications for cardiac arrest coverage using straight- line versus route distance to nearest automated external defibrillator. Resuscitation, 167: 326-335.
- Stoesser, C.E., Boutilier, J.J., Sun, C.L.F., Brooks, S.C., Cheskes, S., Dainty, K.N., Feldman, M., Ko, D., Lin, S., Morrison, L., Scales, D.C. and Chan, T.C.Y. 2021. Moderating effects of out-of-hospital cardiac arrest characteristics on the association between EMS response time and survival. Resuscitation, 169: 31-38.
- Karlsson, L., Hansen, C.M., Vourakis, C., Sun, C.L.F., Rajan, S., Søndergaard, K.B., Andelius, L., Lippert, F., Gislason, G.H. and Chan, T.C.Y. 2020. Improving bystander defibrillation in out-of-hospital cardiac arrests at home. European Heart Journal: Acute Cardiovascular Care, 9(4): S74-S81.
- Leung, B.K.H., Sun, C.L.F., Yang, M., Allan, K.S., Wong, N. and Chan, T.C.Y. 2020. Optimal in-hospital defib- rillator placement. Resuscitation, 151: 91-98.
- Sun, C.L.F., Karlsson, L., Morrison, L.J., Brooks, S.C., Folke, F. and Chan, T.C.Y. 2020. Effect of optimized versus guidelines-based automated external defibrillator placement on out-of-hospital cardiac arrest coverage: An in silico trial. Journal of the American Heart Association, 9(17).
- Sun, C.L.F., Zuccarelli, E., Zerhouni, E.A., Lee, J. , Muller. J., Scott, K.M., Lujan, A.M. and Levi, R. 2020. Predicting COVID-19 infection risk and related risk drivers in nursing homes: A machine learning approach. Journal of the American Medical Directors Association, 21(11): 1533-1538.e6.
- Sun, C.L.F., Karlsson, L., Torp-Pedersen, C., Morrison, L.J., Brooks, S.C., Folke, F. and Chan, T.C.Y. 2019. In Silico Trial of Optimized Versus Actual Public Defibrillator Locations. Journal of the American College of Cardiology, 74(12): 1557-1567.
- Sun, C.L.F., Karlsson, L., Torp-Pedersen, C., Morrison, L.J., Folke, F. and Chan, T.C.Y. 2018. Spatiotemporal AED optimization is generalizable. Resuscitation, 131: 101-107.
- Sun, C.L.F., Brooks, S.C., Morrison, L.J. and Chan, T.C.Y. 2017. Ranking Businesses and Municipal Locations by Spatiotemporal Cardiac Arrest Risk to Guide Public Defibrillator Placement. Circulation, 135(12): 1104–1119.
- Liu, R., Wang, H.T., Xu, B., Chen, W.L., Turlova, E., Dong, N., Sun, C.L.F., Lu, Y., Barszczyk, A., Yang, D.Z., Jin, T. , Mannucci, E. , Feng, Z.P. and Sun, H.S. 2016. Cerebrovascular Safety of Sulfonylureas: The Role of KATP Channels in Neuroprotection and the Risk of Stroke in Patients With Type 2 Diabetes . Diabetes, 65(9): 2795-2809.
- Lu, T.Z., Kostelecki, W., Sun, C.L.F., Dong, N., Pérez Velázquez, J.L. and Feng, Z.-P. 2016. High sensitivity of spontaneous spike frequency to sodium leak current in a Lymnaea pacemaker neuron. European Journal of Neuroscience, 44(12): 3011-3022.
- Sun, C.L.F., Demirtas, D., Brooks, S.C., Morrison, L.J. and Chan, T.C.Y. 2016. Overcoming Spatial and Temporal Barriers to Public Access Defibrillators Via Optimization. Journal of the American College of Cardiology, 68(8): 836–845.
Chapters in Books
- Chan, T.C.Y. and Sun, C.L.F. Optimizing defibrillator Deployment. In Suen, S. , Schiereck, D. and Enns, E. . Artificial Intelligence for Healthcare. Cambridge, United Kingdom: Cambridge University Press, 2022.
Funded Research during the last 7 years
|2022-2024||Telfer School of Management||School of Management Research Grant||R||I||PI||$ 10,000|
|2022-2024||University of Ottawa||SEED Funding Opportunity||R||I||PI||$ 10,000|
C: Contract (R and D) | E: Equipment Grant | R: Research Grant | S: Support Award | P: Pedagogical Grant | O: Other, U: Unknown
C: Granting Councils | G: Government | F: Foundations | I: UO Internal Funding | O: Other | U: Unknown
PI = Principal Investigator | Co-I = Co-Investigator | Co-PI = Co-Principal Investigator