Wojtek Michalowski is a Professor of Health Informatics at the Telfer School of Management. He is a founding member of the MET Research Laboratory at the University of Ottawa, and Adjunct Research Professor at the Sprott School of Business, Carleton University. During the 1997/98 academic year, he was the Senior Research Scholar at the International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis in Austria. In 2013, the President of the Republic of Poland granted Dr. Michalowski the state title of Professor in recognition of his outstanding research accomplishments. This honour, the highest distinction given to researchers in Poland, comes at the recommendation of the Polish Academy of Sciences.
Dr. Michalowski is member of several editorial boards and for a number of years he was a Chair of the Awards Committee of the International Society on Multiple Criteria Decision Making. His research interests include computer-interpretable clinical practice guidelines, decision analysis and medical decision making, clinical decision support systems, and computer modeling of interdisciplinary healthcare teams. He has written over hundred refereed papers and has published articles in many journals, including Management Science, Naval Research Logistics, Operations Research, Journal of Optimization Theory and Applications, IEEE Systems, Man and Cybernetics, IEEE Expert, Decision Support Systems and Electronic Commerce, European Journal of Operational Research, Methods of Information in Medicine, Journal of Biomedical Informatics, Healthcare Management Science, and International Journal of Medical Informatics.
Dr. Michalowski is currently the Principal Investigator of an NSERC-funded research program. The research aims at making clinical practice guidelines applicable for patients with multiple diseases and developing clinical decision support systems for cross-platform applications. To learn more about this research program, visit www.mobiledss.uOttawa.ca.
Publications during the last 7 years
Papers in Refereed Journals
- Azzi, S., Michalowski, W. and Iglewski, M. 2022. Developing the Pneumonia Diagnosis Ontology (PNADO) from Multiple Knowledge Sources. Health Informatics Journal.
- Michalowski, M., Wilk, Sz., Michalowski, W. and Carrier, M. 2021. MitPlan: A Planning Approach to Mitigating Concurrently Applied Clinical Practice Guidelines. Artificial Intelligence in Medicine, 112: 102002.
- Labijak-Kowalska, A., Kadzinski, M., Spychata, I., Dias, L., Fiallos, J., Patrick, J., Michalowski, W. and Farion, K. 2021. Performance Evaluation of Emergency Department Physicians using Robust Value-based Additive Efficiency Model. International Transactions in Operational Research.
- Michalowski, M., Wilk, Sz., Michalowski, W., O'Sullivan, D., Bonaccio, S., Parimbelli, E., Carrier, M., Le Gal, G., Kingwell, S. and Peleg, M. 2021. A Health eLearning Ontology and Procedural Reasoning Approach for Developing Personalized Courses to Teach Patients About Their Medical Condition and Treatment. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 18(14): 7355.
- Wilk, Sz., Kezadri-Hamiaz, M., Amyot, D., Michalowski, W., Kuziemsky, C., Çatal, N., Rosu, D., Carrier, M. and Giffen, R. 2020. An Ontology-driven Framework to Support the Dynamic Formation of an Interdisciplinary Healthcare Team. International Journal of Medical Informatics, 136: 104075.
- Kandakoglu, A., Sauré, A., Michalowski, W., Aquino, M., Graham, J. and McCormick, B. 2020. A Decision Support System for Home Dialysis Visit Scheduling and Nurse Routing. Decision Support Systems, 130: 113224.
- Fung-Kee-Fung, M. and Michalowski, W. 2019. Business School teams up with Clinical Innovators: An opportunity for health system transformation. Healthcare Management Forum, 32(4): 218-223.
- Reardon, P., Parimbelli, E., Wilk, Sz., Michalowski, W., Murphy, K., Shen, J., Herritt, B., Gershkovich, B., Tanuseputro, P. and Kyeremanteng, K. 2019. Incorporating Laboratory Values Into a Machine Learning Model Improves In-Hospital Mortality Predictions After Rapid Response Team Call. Critical Care Explorations, 1(7): e0023.
- Patrick, J., Montazeri, A., Michalowski, M. and Bannerjee, D. 2019. Automated Pathologist Scheduling at The Ottawa Hospital. INFORMS Journal of Applied Analytics, 49(2): 93-103.
- Huyer, G., Chreim, S., Michalowski, W. and Farion, K. 2018. Barriers and enablers to a physician-delivered educational initiative to reduce low-acuity visits to the pediatric emergency department. PLOS ONE.
- Peleg, M., Michalowski, W., Wilk, S., Parimbelli, E., Bonaccio, S., O'Sullivan, D., Michalowski, M., Quaglini, S. and Carrier, M. 2018. Ideating Mobile Health Behavioral Support for Compliance to Therapy for Patients with Chronic Disease: A Case Study of Atrial Fibrillation Management. Journal of Medical Systems, 42(11): 234.
- Wilk, Sz., Michalowski, M., Michalowski, W., Rosu, D., Carrier, M. and Kezadri-Hamiaz, M. 2017. Comprehensive Mitigation Framework for Concurrent Application of Multiple Clinical Practice Guidelines. Journal of Biomedical Informatics, 66: 52-71.
- Lessard, L., Michalowski, W., Fung-Kee-Fung, M., Jones, L. and Grudniewicz, A. 2017. Architectural frameworks: Defining the structures for implementing Learning Health Systems. Implementation Science, 12(78): 1-11.
- Fiallos, J., Patrick, J., Michalowski, M. and Farion, K. 2017. Using Data Envelopment Analysis for Assessing the Performance of Pediatric Emergency Department Physicians. Health Care Management Science, 20(1): 129-140.
- Wilk, Sz., Kezadri-Hamiaz, M., Rosu, D., Kuziemsky, C.E., Michalowski, W., Amyot, D. and Carrier, M. 2016. Using Semantic Components to Represent Dynamics of an Interdisciplinary Healthcare Team in a Multi-agent Decision Support System. Journal of Medical Systems, 40(2): 42.
- O'Sullivan, D., Wilk, Sz., Kuziemsky, C.E., Michalowski, W., Farion, K. and Kukawka, B. 2016. Is There a Consensus When Physicians Evaluate the Relevance of Retrieved Systematic Reviews? Methods of Information in Medicine, 4;55(3): 292-298.
- Halwani, F., Li, W.C., Banerjee, D., Lessard, L., Amyot, D., Michalowski, W. and Giffen, R. 2016. A real-time dashboard for managing pathology processes. Journal of Pathology Informatics, 7(24): 35.
Chapters in Books
- Astaraky, D., Wilk, Sz., Michalowski, W., Andreev, P., Kuziemsky, C.E. and Hadjiyannakis, S. Supporting an Interdisciplinary Healthcare Team with a Multi-Agent System. In Cruz-Cunha M.M. and et al.. Encyclopedia of E-Health and Telemedicine. Pennsylvania, USA: IGI Global Publishers, 2016.
Funded Research during the last 7 years
|2022-2025||TOHAMO Innovation||Innovative Use of Machine-Learning Algorithm Assistance to Rapidly Recognize the Presence of Sudden Cardiac Arrest and Initiate Life-Saving CPR Instructions During Conversations Between 9-1-1 Callers & Telecommunicators||R||F||Co-I||$ 99,400|
|2021-2025||CIHR||Advancing personalized health decisions for end-of-life through Implementation Science||R||C||Co-A||$ 1,998,900|
|2020-2023||National Research Council Canada (NRC)||Artificial intelligence protein design for drugs and gene therapies||R||G||PI||$ 299,880|
|2018-2022||NSERC||Computer model of the interactions among members of interdisciplinary teams||R||C||PI||$ 140,000|
|2013-2018||NSERC||Computer-based decision Support for Management of Comorbid Diseases||R||C||PI||$ 120,000|
|2012-2017||University Research Chairs Program||University Research Chair in Health Informatics Decision Support||R||I||PI||$ 100,000|
C: Contract (R and D) | E: Equipment Grant | R: Research Grant | S: Support Award | P: Pedagogical Grant | O: Other, U: Unknown
C: Granting Councils | G: Government | F: Foundations | I: UO Internal Funding | O: Other | U: Unknown
PI = Principal Investigator | Co-I = Co-Investigator | Co-PI = Co-Principal Investigator