Martine Spence was named a professor emerita at the Telfer School of Management of the University of Ottawa, after a 22-year career as a professor of marketing and entrepreneurship at the school. Dr. Spence has held a number of research fellowships from Canadian, British and supranational organizations for her work on international entrepreneurship and sustainable entrepreneurship in Canada and in emerging and developing nations. Professor Spence’s research has led to the publication in English and in French of two co-authored books, several book chapters, papers at international conference and articles in scholarly journals such as Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, Small Business Economics, Management International Review, the International Business Review, the European Marketing Journal, the Revue internationale PME and the Canadian Journal of Administrative Sciences.
Professor Spence holds a PhD in management from Middlesex University London and an MBA from Concordia University, Montreal. She has taught strategic management, international marketing, marketing research and entrepreneurship for bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral programs in Ottawa, as well as in the U.K., France and Monaco. During her career at the Telfer School of Management, she was head of the marketing section and vice-dean research.
She remains active in research, co-supervising a doctoral candidate from the Université de Yaoundé II, in Cameroon, and sitting on the thesis committees of many other students. Her articles in progress deal with development through the zero growth of three small enterprises, “co-opetition,” and sustainable development and SMEs.
Publications during the last 7 years
Papers in Refereed Journals
- Stekelorum, R., Courrent, J.-M. and Spence, M. 2023. Supply chain pressures and SMEs’ CSR practices: the moderating effect of supply chain position. International Journal of Logistics Research and Applications.
- Paradas, A., Revelli, C., Courrent, J.-M., Debray, C. and Spence, M. 2018. Pratiques responsables des dirigeants de PME : influence du profil du dirigeant. Revue de l’Entrepreneuriat, 16(3-4): 187-218.
- Chreim, S., Spence, M., Crick, D. and Liao, X. 2018. Review of female immigrant entrepreneurship research: Past findings, gaps and ways forward. European Management Journal, 36(2): 210-222.
- El Chababi, M., Chreim, S. and Spence, M. 2017. Are they really different: The entrepreneurial process from the perspective of first and second generation immigrant entrepreneurs. Journal of Enterprising Culture, 25(3): 263-295.
- Labelle, F., Courrent, J.M. and Spence, M. 2017. Préférences des PME en matière de politiques publiques de responsabilité sociale des entreprises : une comparaison France-Québec. Management International, 21(3): 129-143.
- Labelle, F., Spence, M. and Courrent, J.M. 2016. A Practice-Based Typology of Sustainable SMEs: Development of a Sustainability Compass . Revue de l'Organisation Responsable, 11(2): 5-23.
- Courrent, J.M., Spence, M. and Gherib, J. 2016. Profil du dirigeant et adhésion à l'argument économique de la responsabilité sociale en petite entreprise. Revue internationale PME, 29(2): 31-64.
Chapters in Books
- Mindja, P., Ondoua Biwolé, V. and Spence, M. Marketing d’influence : une recherche documentaire systématique et une analyse bibliométrique. In Tonyè, A. and et al.. Influenceur ou influenceuse, une position socio-numérique qui fait polémique. 2023, (In Press).
- Benhmade, A., Régnier, P. and Spence, M. Global cities: African cities in the era of globalization. In Cao, H., Zacharias, J. and Ngomsi, C.. City Development: Issues and Best Practices. Springer, 2022, (In Press).
Other Scholarly Contributions
- (Case) Kuekam, E. and Spence, M. 2023. "BATHBLISS : Lancement d’un nouveau produit au Canada", Centrale de Cas et de Média Pédagogiques (CCMP), Paris. Cas déposé, Collection CCMP M2176
- (Case) Kuekam, E. and Spence, M. 2023. "BATHBLISS : Lancement d’un nouveau produit au Canada", Centrale de Cas et de Média Pédagogiques (CCMP), Paris. Note pédagogique déposée, Collection CCMP M2176-NP
Funded Research during the last 7 years
|2016-2018||Telfer School of Management (Endowed)||Observatoire de recherche en entrepreneuriat international-Research Observatory in International Entrepreneurship||R||I||PI||$ 60,000|
|2014-2018||SSHRC Insight Grant||Financing and the Growth of SMEs||R||C||Co-I||$ 82,070|
|2014-2016||Telfer School of Management Research Fund (SMRF)||Sustainable development at work: A comparative assessment of the determinants of SMEs' engagement between emerging and developed Countries||R||I||PI||$ 6,000|
C: Contract (R and D) | E: Equipment Grant | R: Research Grant | S: Support Award | P: Pedagogical Grant | O: Other, U: Unknown
C: Granting Councils | G: Government | F: Foundations | I: UO Internal Funding | O: Other | U: Unknown
PI = Principal Investigator | Co-I = Co-Investigator | Co-PI = Co-Principal Investigator