- DMS 6124
- 613-562-5800 x 1852
Dr. Brand's research informs the risk analysis/management interface applied to the health sector. His methods-research aims to simplify and illuminate projections/forecasts of health impacts (using simple mathematical models), and to clarify the translation of uncertain evidence into warrants for health policy action (using simple decision analysis and risk perception insight). He was the MHA program director from July of 2015 to January 2017.
His applications of these methods have extended beyond uncertainty analysis to include (Bayesian) numerical methods for pooling information, and value of information analysis. In more recent research he has applied standard mathematical approximation techniques to a standard demography tool, namely the life-table. He has used the resulting approximations to effectively "break-open" the black-box calculations that characterize the Cause-Modified life-table. His follow-up work suggests that these heuristics and inter-relationships will help bring greater coherence, and in some cases greater rigor, to the disparate approaches that have been used (by various disciplines) to forecast long term population health impacts.
Publications during the last 7 years
Papers in Refereed Journals
- Welch, V., Dewidar, O., Tanjong Ghogomu, E., Abdisalam, S., Al Ameer, A., Barbeau, V.I., Brand, K.P., Kebedom, K., Benkhalti, M., Kristjansson, E., Madani, M.T., Antequera Martín, A.M., Mathew, C.M., McGowan, J., McLeod, W., Park, H.A., Petkovic, J., Riddle, A., Tugwell, P., Petticrew, M., Trawin, J. and Wells, G. 2022. How effects on health equity are assessed in systematic reviews of interventions. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews.
- Baillargeon, B.H., Charette, M., Tessier, F. and Brand, K.P. 2022. Clinical practice guidelines about screening for disruptive behavior problems at well-child visits: A rapid review of the literature on the accuracy of parents’ behavioral concerns. OBM Integrative and Complementary Medicine.
- Scarffe, A. and et al. 2022. Cost-Effectiveness of Integrated Disease Management for High Risk, Exacerbation Prone, Patients with Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease in a Primary Care Setting. Cost Effectiveness and Resource Allocation, (Accepted).
- Brand, K.P. and Finkel, A. M. 2020. A Decision-Analytic Approach to Addressing the Evidence About Football And CTE. seminars in neurology, 40(4): 450-460.
- Ouedraogo, A., Crighton, E., Sawada, M., To, T., Brand, K.P. and Lavigne, E. 2019. Exploration of the spatial patterns and determinants of asthma prevalence and health services use in Ontario using a Bayesian approach . PLOS ONE, 13(12): e0208205.
- Grundy, A., Brand, K.P., Khandwala, F., Poirier, A., Tamminen, S., Friedenreich, C.M. and Brenner, D.R. 2016. Cancer Incidence Attributable to Residential Radon Exposure in Alberta, Canada in 2012. Canadian Medical Association Journal, 5(2): E529-E534.
Funded Research during the last 7 years
|2020-2023||MITACS||Establishing a Standard of Proof for Public Health Threats: Exploration of the Use of Precaution and Weight of Evidence||R||O||PI||$ 130,000|
C: Contract (R and D) | E: Equipment Grant | R: Research Grant | S: Support Award | P: Pedagogical Grant | O: Other, U: Unknown
C: Granting Councils | G: Government | F: Foundations | I: UO Internal Funding | O: Other | U: Unknown
PI = Principal Investigator | Co-I = Co-Investigator | Co-PI = Co-Principal Investigator