/assets/careercentre/documents/coverletter/Bulleted-Style-.-Cover-Letter-Example.pdfA cover letter is an essential step in making an effective first impression with a potential employer, and should be given the time and effort it deserves.
A cover letter should:
- Showcase your writing and communication skills
- Be treated as a marketing tool
- Be tailored to each employer
Types of Cover Letters
How to Create a Cover Letter
Each cover letter should be tailored to its recipient! The key is personalization. Employers see hundreds of cover letters; avoid using a mass-produced format such as a template.
- It should fit on a single page, and your signature should be clearly displayed at the bottom (if you are submitting a hard copy).
- The letter should usually be no more than five paragraphs of about three to five sentences each.
- Your cover letter must be concise and clear.
- It must be flawless!
- N.B. Cover letters for more senior federal government positions may be longer in length.
Guidance from the Career Centre
There are various ways in which we can assist you with your cover letter:
- You can register for events by visiting our Calendar of Events.