About the Program
The Public Policy Leadership Program (PPLP) is designed for practicing policy professionals who are interested in increasing their capacity to navigate the complexities of contemporary government policy development and to provide breakthrough policy responses using effective leadership, engagement, and collaboration. PPLP is offered jointly by the Public Policy Forum PPF Academy and Telfer Executive Programs at the University of Ottawa’s Telfer School of Management. We have partnered to offer a highly experiential blended program that will enhance your understanding of current and emerging policy challenges, while developing the leadership skills and mindsets needed to be effective and adaptable in an increasingly complex government system.
This program is one-of-a-kind, designed to address an identified gap in learning opportunities for the policy community, with our unique cross-disciplinary approach, integrating personal leadership development with an advanced and applied exploration of domestic and global policy issues. Graduates of this program will form a stronger network of policy leaders that can address the complex issues facing modern governments.
In partnership with:
Who Should Attend?
Public policy professionals from all levels of government across Canada in supervisory or management roles (EX minus 1, EX minus 2 & EX-1 or equivalent) who are mid-career and looking to grow and refine your leadership skills to step up to the next level of your career path. You are intending to deepen your understanding of how to lead groups and teams in a complex public policy environment, while navigating the policy development process.
We welcome participants from all levels of government: federal, provincial, and municipal.
To ensure diversity within the participant group, the number of participants attending from each department will be limited as this maximizes the participants’ learning and networking experience. If your department would like to send more than 2 people to the program, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org before completing registration.
The Public Policy Leadership Program is designed to specifically address the needs and questions of current and emerging public policy leaders. Our team is focused on working with you to explore following themes:
- Policy Futures: Taking a strategic look at emergent policy issues in the ever-changing context of government goals, advancements in technology, communications, and relations with the public.
- Crafting Policy in the Face of Complexity: Navigating different types of policy development, and developing judgment and resilience.
- Collaboration & Stakeholder Engagement: Knowing when, how, and why to engage stakeholders, and exploring the spectrum of engagement possibilities, from consultation to collaboration, and effective leadership in the context of complex, multi-stakeholder environments.
- Personal Leadership Effectiveness: Developing greater self-awareness of who you are as a leader, your emotional intelligence, leadership styles and strengths, and engaging in a process of self-reflection and personal growth. Developing your leadership effectiveness and your communications ability is central to policy leadership, working with public and political officials, and advancing the policy agenda through effective leadership of departmental, interdepartmental and cross-functional teams.
Upon completion of the program, participants will be able to:
- Evaluate and debate emergent policy issues
- Navigate complex policy development using sound judgment, tools, and resilience
- Articulate when, how, and why to engage stakeholders
- Develop and demonstrate their leadership skills in communication, collaboration, and coordination
- Reflect on and develop their leadership self-awareness and emotional intelligence
- Registration Deadline
Friday, September 29, 2023
In-person and virtual sessions. Program schedule to come.
The program begins with a half-day Orientation on Thursday, October 12, 2023. For full program dates, please consult the Program Schedule.
- More information
Our programs and certificates can be delivered to your employees and tailored to fit your organization’s specific requirements.
To discuss your needs, please contact us.