Career Development Certificate
613-562-5800 x 2884
What is the CAREER DEVELOPMENT CERTIFICATE?
Activities associated with the Certificate are designed to provide you with the self‑understanding and necessary tools to establish a meaningful career. Participating in Career Centre activities ensures that you are equipped, in addition to your academic knowledge, with career management skills to be successful at the end of your studies.
Upon completing a series of career-related activities, you will be able to obtain your Career Development Certificate!
By enrolling in the program using our Career Launch platform, your Career Centre activities will be tracked automatically:
*Please note that you only need to register for the certificate once.
You can complete the activities at your own pace: in one year, over the course of your 4 years at Telfer, or anywhere in between.
The workshops and activities associated with the Career Development Certificate will provide you with the tools you need to find meaningful work. It can also help you market yourself more effectively, as employers recognize the certificate as a valuable step in your career planning process.
You will have the opportunity to do the following:
- Identify your interests and preferences
- Create a job search action plan
- Develop strong knowledge of the job market
- Ensure your application stands out to employers
- Enhance your networking skills
- Learn how to ace the interview process
CAREER DEVELOPMENT ACTIVITIES
To obtain the Career Development Certificate, you must complete 10 Career Centre activities (9 mandatory activities and 1 activity of choice).
* Certificate requirements were updated in the summer of 2021 to include one additional “mandatory activity”. If you enrolled in the program prior to this date, please note that you can choose to follow either set of requirements.
Annual Networking Events
You must attend at least one of the following two networking events:
- Telfer Connects (TC)
(previously known as the 4th Year Telfer Career Convention (TCC))
Held in September for 3rd and 4th year students only
- Telfer Networks (TN)
(previously known as the Telfer Networking Convention (TNC))
Held in January for all undergraduate students
- Who Am I: Self-assessment and Career Testing
- Jump Start Your Job Search
- Rock Your Resumé
- Ace Your Interview
- Network Like a Pro
- Individual Resumé Critique
(with a Career Counsellor or Advisor)
- Individual Practice Interview
(with a Career Counsellor or Advisor
- LinkedIn Profile Critique
(with a Career Counsellor or Advisor)
ACTIVITIES OF CHOICE
You have the opportunity to choose one activity from the wide variety of options below in order to complete your certificate:
- Intro to LinkedIn
- LinkedIn Lab
- Get to Know Case Interviews
- Ace Your Case Interviews
- How to Apply to Government
- The Three Pillars of Career Development
"Let's Talk" Series
(Previously known as Clinics or the 101 Series)
These small group sessions can count as an “activity of choice” (and serve as a complement to our mandatory workshops), or, they can act as a substitute for the mandatory workshops with the same subject matter.
- Let’s Talk Resumés
- Let’s Talk Interviews
- Let’s Talk Networking and Coffee Chats
With a Career Counsellor or Advisor
- Self-understanding and Career Awareness
- Career opportunities related to my program
- Comparison of job possibilities between business fields
- Career Action Plan
- General Job Search Strategies
- Interview Preparation and Techniques
- Adapting your resumé to the Canadian context
- Introduction to the Cover Letter
- Cover Letter Critique
- Building a LinkedIn Profile
- Writing a compelling LinkedIn Summary
- Boosting my online presence and visibility with LinkedIn
With a Relationship Manager
- Networking, Exploring the Hidden Job Market and Coffee Chats
- Industry-Specific Information
- Company-Specific Information
- Job Prospects in my Field
- Building my alumni network
- Contacting an employer: best practices
- Pivoting my job-search strategy for changing market conditions
- Coffee Chats
Special Activities with Professionals
- Resumé Day: Rapid Resumé Reviews by Professionals
- Panel: Job Search for International Students
- Industry Panel: Management Consulting
- Industry Panel: High Finance
- Alumni Panel: Day in the Life
- Marketing Toronto Trip
- Startup Career Fair
Mentorship and Development Programs
- Ambassador Program
- Connexions Program
- Capital Markets Program (CMP)
- Professional of Management Consulting Program (PMCP)
- Job Shadowing Program
HOW TO PARTICIPATE?
Simply enroll in the certificate on CAREER LAUNCH under the Mentorship and Development Programs tab found on the left-hand menu or by selecting the Sign up for a Program tab found on your dashboard.
- Enroll in the certificate by clicking the "Enroll" button next to the name of the certificate.
- Register for associated events through the Calendar of Events or book an appointment by filling out the Appointment Request Form (tab located at the top of your dashboard).
- Attend (and be sure to sign in).
- The Career Launch portal will automatically track your events and activities.
- When you are near the completion of the activities, we encourage you to schedule an appointment with our Career Counsellor in order to review your progress.
- The Career Development Certificates are awarded in March each year at the invitation-only Career Centre Celebration event.