On Wednesday, October 2, 2013, the Telfer School of Management, in partnership with the Association des MBA du Québec (AMBAQ) and the Regroupement des gens d’affaires (RGA), welcomed François Lambert, President of Impulse Capital, for a lunchtime lecture. A successful businessman, Lambert has become known not only for his many entrepreneurial ventures, but also for his role on the Radio-Canada show “Dans l’oeil du dragon”, where he meets with aspiring entrepreneurs hoping to receive financing for their business ideas.
During his presentation, Lambert described his journey to success through perseverance. He left his audience with some of his key secrets for getting ahead in business.
- Early risers are often more successful: having a plan for your day will allow you to be productive. Know what your day has in store and make checklists.
- Focus: know what needs to be done and be ready to drop everything to focus on your business.
- Seize the opportunities: someone else may also have the same idea. When an opportunity presents itself, don’t be afraid to commit. It's important to think big, but start small.
- Learn when to say no: if you don’t have the time, say no. You can and will say yes the other 97% of the time.
- Be transparent: treat your clients with respect, be open with them and make sure that they know what they should know.
If you missed it, take a look at our pictures from the event.
This presentation on Key Success Factors in Business was the first in the 2013-14 series of Telfer MBA Conferences, which is open to students, faculty, staff and alumni from all faculties and to members of the Ottawa business community.