About the Program
This program was formerly known as “Project Initiation”. While the program has been renamed, the content and focus of the program remains the same. This program is part of the Certificate in Complex Project & Procurement Leadership and may be taken as part of the certificate program or on a stand-alone basis. Please visit the main page for the Certificate in Complex Project & Procurement Leadership for more information.
A successful project depends on proper analysis and planning in the early and key phase of project initiation. This three-day module will provide an overview of the process to develop the initial scope and high-level requirements for a project. Participants will learn strategic options analysis techniques, foundational elements of acquisitions strategies, complex procurement principles and tools for engagement with supplier communities and the principles of agile procurement. Acquisitions strategies will encompass the linkages between performance-based procurement, remuneration strategies, contractual relationships and project implementation risks, including sustainment and in-service support. The module will also identify important stakeholder engagement strategies. Industry participants will gain an understanding and perspective of how to interact effectively with the government from project initiation to contractual approval and project implementation.
Who Should Attend?
Senior military and Public Service leaders and industry executives who have or will have responsibility to lead and manage the planning and implementation of medium to large programs. It will be of particular benefit to newcomers to Ottawa and those with less previous experience with the processes and stakeholders involved with major Government funded investments.
What You Will Learn
- Key fundamentals to project success and how that success is shaped, for good or otherwise, by key early decisions.
- An understanding of acquisitions strategies, procurement options analysis factors, opportunities for industry engagement and risk analysis.
- An understanding of the impact of contractual relationships and remuneration strategies on implementation risks.
- How to position the project for success through careful initial planning and assessment of strategic options.
- How to identify acquisitions strategies, and correlate them with procurement strategies and plans.
- How to engage with industry and develop a winning procurement and contracting approach, inclusive of sustainment and in-service support.
- How and when to engage key stakeholders.
- Registration Deadline
Please note that participation in this program requires the completion of two (2) courses as prerequisites: Government & Industry Processes & Stakeholder Engagement and Systems Thinking. If you have completed the prerequisites and wish to register for this program, please email us.
The deadline to register for Cohort 15 is Friday, March 4, 2022.
- Virtual Program
Cohort 13: November 29 - December 3, 2021 - FULL
Cohort 14: December 6-10, 2021 - FULL
Cohort 15: March 28 to April 1, 2022
$2,550 + HST
Cancellation & Payment Policy
- More Information
Telfer School of Management
Centre for Executive Leadership
99 Bank Street, Suite 200
Ottawa ON K1P 6B9
Our programs and certificates can be delivered to your employees and tailored to fit your organization’s specific requirements.
To discuss your needs, please contact us.