Open Invitation for Entrepreneurs to Participate in Telfer Executive MBA's "School your Startup PitchFest"
The purpose of this letter is to invite startup businesses to take advantage of a unique opportunity in partnership with the Telfer Executive MBA program. Your organization will benefit from a six-week Telfer Executive MBA consulting engagement, culminating with an investors pitch on October 21st, 2016.
Starting in September, seven teams from the University of Ottawa’s Telfer Executive MBA will work with seven startups for a six-week period on building two business tools – Business Plan and Investors Package – culminating with an investors pitch to a panel of investors at Telfer’s Centre for Executive Leadership.
Our Program has experienced a high success rate where close to 60% of all presentations resulted in follow-up meetings with at least one of the investors.
We are looking for up to fifteen start-ups to vie for the seven spots in our “School Your Startup Pitchfest”.
Here is what you are vying for:
- A team of elite Telfer Executive MBA candidates with compelling business experiences working with and on your startup for six weeks;
- Walk away with two key business tools – solid Business Plan and attractive Investors Package – to help push your startup forward;
- Under the leadership and guidance of Professor Sophia Leong, your team will be challenged, coached and guided by seasoned startup professionals; and
- A spot to pitch your startup on October 21st to a panel of investors.
To qualify your Startup should be:
- Seeking investment funding of $1M or more within the next 18 months;
- Focused on innovation and application of unique technology:
- Available to work with the Telfer Executive MBA team, between September 1st and October 21st, 2016;
- Startups need to be on-site in Ottawa for the Pitchfest on August 12th and the investor pitch on October 21st, 2016;
- Startups do not need to be based in Ottawa to qualify;
- All stages of funding are welcome (seed, startup, growth, etc.); and
- Readiness to share company data (financial, sales, IP, etc) with respective team members of your Telfer team – all team members and program will sign NDA to protect your ideas/IP
The panel of judges will include a representative of each team and the Executive Director of Telfer Executive MBA Program, Sophia Leong. Participating in Pitchfest does not guarantee a spot.
“School Your Startup Pitchfest” Format:
- Event will be held at Kivuto Solutions, 126 York Street, Suite 200, Ottawa, Ontario, K1N 5T5;
- First pitch begins at 6pm with a projected end time at 8:30pm;
- Short introduction and each startup has a maximum of five minutes to pitch and an additional three minutes for Q&A;
- There could additional Q&A after all pitches have been presented, if necessary (all startups should stay onsite until 8:30pm);
- The Telfer teams will select and decide on the finalists over a period of 72 hours; and
- If two teams select the same startup, an internal process of ‘drawing from the hat’ will be enacted
- August 8th at noon – Applications close;
- August 9th – Accepted teams are notified;
- August 12th 6pm – “School your Startup Pitchfest” at Kivuto Solutions, 126 York Street, Suite 200;
- September 1st – October 21st – Business plan and investor package development;
- October 21st – Investors Package presentation/pitch to an investors’ panel at Telfer Center for Executive Leadership, Suite 350 – 45 O’Connor Street, Ottawa, Ontario, K1P 1A4
Sophia Leong, Executive Director of Telfer Executive MBA Program
Council Member, Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada
Board Member, Ottawa Chamber of Commerce
Executive-in-Residence, Canadian Advanced Technology Alliance
Advisory Board Member, Startup Canada
Invited Judge, Verizon Wireless Million Dollar Powerful Answers Award